Weird audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_M

Hi

About 2 months ago I did a massive upgrade on my PC(processor, mobo, ram) and everything was going ok until I started to notice problems it had with audio in some games.

The audio stuttered and was garbled for a few seconds, this audio problem seemed to conincide exactly when I got a slight FPS hit.

So I though it might be the on board graphics that came with my motherboard so I went down to my locla PC world and picked up a Soundblaster 5.1 digital, after installing the card and all drivers in the box I fired up the game that was having the most problems with the sound, GTA Vice city.
The problem also effects Cd's being played on my computer, sound skips ,jumps and garbles.

While the problem was slightly improved it was far from gone and the sound problems were still occuring. The strange thing is that with some games the audio is fine and with others the problem is really bad.

My freind says he thinks its the CD drive I have, but Im not sure about that. I have disabled Creative disc detector but the problem still persists.
Oh and I did disable the on board sound in Windows and in BIOS.

My specs are:

P4 2.4 Ghz with Hyper Threading enabled
512 DDR pc2700
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64mb
40gb hard disk
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Digital
Intel D865GL motherboard
All running under Windows 98 SE

Can anyone please help me?

All replies appreiciated:)

I am having exactly the same problem, although my spec is totally different to yours.

Althon XP 3200+
1 Gb Crucial PC3200 Memory
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
Audigy 2 Sound Card
120 Gb WD 7200 HD
Winfast K7NCR18D Pro Mobo (NForce 2 Chipset)
Win XP Home Edition

It was all fine until about 5 days ago. The only thing I can think of that I installed was a Windows Update.

I've just checked again. It doesn't occur when you first install a game. I just installed Splinter Cell, ran it everything was A-OK. When I reset the machine and played again. There it was, the screeching from hell.

I've sorted my problem. I re-installed my Catalyst 3.6 drivers and no more problem. I have no idea what would be causing yours though. Try an earlier Nvidia driver?

hey

gabbana, did you ever have the 3.7 catalysts? I have a similiar setup as to yours and I previously had a ti4600 from nvidia, switched to 9800 pro and now my sound in games is bad. I have an audigy 2 with latest drivers, 3.7 cats, xp pro, tried everything from uninstalling sound card to reinstalling, rolling back sound card drivers to older ones, messed with every audio setting, no irq conflicts, moved sound card to different slot...all to no avail. My last thing (which would seem a rather strange solution) would be to try a different catalyst driver. Any ideas?

The problem was only occurring with the 3.7's. I reverted back to the 3.6's and have/had no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back