Weird blotches on new LCD monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega

I picked up my first lcd monitor two months ago and was very happy with it apart from one slight problem - tiny dots could be seen on the monitor screen which was bearable at first, but more have appeared - and they can't be ignored as they stick out like a sore thumb - is this the much dreaded 'dead pixel' syndrom?:confused:

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Wasn't it you as well, Nic, who said to rub those spots gently, to make them go away?
Yes, rubbing will work as well for more stubborn pixels. My first LCD had exactly the same symptoms as vega's when I first bought it, with more dead pixels appearing over the course of a few days. I don't have any dead pixels now as I managed to get them all to work using the techniques outlined here ('tapping' worked for me, I only had to 'rub' one stubborn pixel).

Of course, if you are extremely unlucky, then this might not work for you. LCD panels are delecate, so I would never recommend putting any pressure on them, or using anything sharp that might scratch the panel.

realblackstuff: I like the sig, but the pint glass kind of implies you were maybe drunk when you wrote it. :D

I was setting up a new Dell desktop for a customer at Town Hall the other day and their LCD monitor had a lot of small blurry blotches.

Tried to rub them out wondering if that would make it go away but it didn't. Oh well.

So much for the wonders of LCD monitors - it IS dead pixels, and lots of them - my friend (a technician) has confirmed that its a pretty bad case so as its around 2 months old, I'll be taking it back and either replacing it or changing back to good old reliable crt - I just hope samsung are'nt too persnickety about dead pixels, especially severe cases.

Originally posted by Rick
Just rub it... Problem solved. ;)
:D :D :D

You're a real comic Rick :=).

There are never any guarantees that 'rubbing' will work, and there are also many different kinds of LCD panels used in monitors. It's pot luck if you have any success 'rubbing' the pixels, but it does sometimes work, so it is certainly worth trying.

Ric, I'v rubbed the wretched thing silly (jeez, sounds kinda perverted!) with no results so its definitely back to the shop tomorrow.

Shucks.. That's a shame.

Good luck with your warranty though! Dead pixels are certainly a pain. I know first hand.

I just hope for Vega's sake, that the ISO on the screen doesn't corespond with number of dead pixels as that wouldn't be an error but a feature...

The 'blotches' problem has been resolved - this morning, I recieved my replacement monitor - a big beautiful ilyami 514 22in crt, as I said, beautiful but big - right now, I'm having to do a bit of shuffling around in order to make room for it and its at times like this that you tend to realise how slim and svelte, lcd monitors are but at least I won't be having problems with pixels again.

Originally posted by vega
The 'blotches' problem has been resolved - this morning, I recieved my replacement monitor - a big beautiful ilyami 514 22in crt, as I said, beautiful but big - right now, I'm having to do a bit of shuffling around in order to make room for it and its at times like this that you tend to realise how slim and svelte, lcd monitors are but at least I won't be having problems with pixels again.

Sorry that your first experience with LCD monitors was a bad one. My first one was a 172T Samsung that had no dead pixels. Saying that I bought it from someone on a forum that I had known for a while that reassured me that it had no dead pixels. My second TFT, Hyundai Q17 was purchased new and has no dead pixels. I think some manufacturers had replacement of monitors factored into the warranties where there had to be so many dead pixels (some only replaced if there were as many as 10!!!) and they were towards the center of the screen. I did have one pixel act up on the Samsung, but tapping it fixed it. It was a pixel that was stuck on Red rather than a completely dead one. The warranties of different manufacturers have now improved some what and its not 5 or more dead for most of them before they will replace a monitor.

That 22" certainly will be a behemoth, but I bet its a lovely display with great dark images (kinda miss true black representation with TFTs). Enjoy ;)

I finished setting my new monitor up about an hour back and when I powered her up for the first time, I must admit to being taken back by the size of the thing - yowza - thats one big display!!
Unfortunately, you can't help but notice the sheer bulk of the thing, but as you now realise, every type of monitor has its good/bad points and bulk is part and parcel of crt but if you can get over that bugbear, your in pc heaven!
Still, I enjoyed using my samsung lcd with that lovely flat screen whilst I had it but being new technology, it still has a couple of bugs to squeeze out - give it a year or two & I'll definitely be casting my beady eye over these monitors again, oh well, back to far cry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back