Weird I/O error; F: drive failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ831

Ok, so last night I tried hooking up a laptop hd to my pc with an adapter and the adapter didn't work. After I removed it, I restarted the computer and for some reason my F: drive (cd-rom) won't run. When I put in a cd, I can hear the cd spinning (the computer is a brand new HP, 2 months) but it says "f: drive failed because an I/O error." I went into the device manager and there is an exclamation next to the cd-rom; it says "Device cannot start"...I tried to uninstall it and reinstall and i tried updating the driver but no luck...I'm clueless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

When messing around with the insides of the PC, you probably left a cable loose. Power off, disconnect-reconnect all the (S)ATA power and data connectors.

Somehow this is tied to the adapter... You perhaps had the jumper set incorrectly when you used the adapter.
You might try setting the jumper on the back of the optical drive, if this is the desktop that is giving you trouble. Set the jumper to Master instead of CS

raybay said:
You might try setting the jumper on the back of the optical drive, if this is the desktop that is giving you trouble. Set the jumper to Master instead of CS

I don't recall there being any jumpers on the back of cd/dvd roms. I looked on mine and there isn't any.

I suggest going into your cdrom manufacturer's website and getting a firmware update for your cdrom. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I'd surf to your laptop's manufacturer website and check to see if they have any cdrom drivers or driver updates.

What model do you have (from the label on its top)?
There are jumpers on every desktop optical drive of every brand, whether DVD, CD, CD-RW, or DVD+-RW I have ever seen, along with a power socket, sound socket, and so on.

I've got my dell components and none of them have jumpers on the cd/dvd roms. I've also got some older compaqs, hp's, and a gateway sitting here that uses the older win98se system and none of them have jumpers on their cdroms.

Rickk1, what are you on about??
I have been building and referbing pc's for almost 20 years and i have never seen an ata device WITHOUT jumper settings on it!! (excluding laptop devices of course)

Scsi's and the old sbfm hdds all had them, modern ata devices do too.

The jumper i have is a HX-IDE-K...I hooked it up to the ide2 cable and I didn't disconnect anything. I used the P5 (power cable) to connect it. I restarted and then I got a "Local Disk ( E: )" on "My Computer" with a red question mark on it. When I click on it, it says the location is unavailable...and now my CD and DVD drives won't run....=/

rickk1 said:
Are you suggesting I am on drugs or some other mind bending equivalent? I take offense to this.

I never said anything of the kind at all!

I simply said that in 20 years of experience i have never seen a pc ata device of any kind without jumper settings. Without them, it wouldn't be possible to have 2 devices on a single data cable.

check in disk management the letters may have gotten messed up
re-assign a unused letter best to use a high one
r .,x., z
as stated so no confusion all IDE,, ata,, optical drives have master .slave ,cable select jumpers only
:chef:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back