Weird problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was building a new PC last night, and I have stumbled upon a problem. I had everything hooked up, but the computer just wouldn't turn on. So the strange part was when I removed the 12V 4-pin connector from the mobo, it came on right away, but I wouldn't receive a video signal, it seems that the video card isn't even running (I can't really tell). Mouse and keyboard aren't on either. Anny idea what it might be?

The 4 pin connector supplies power to your video card. Try removing the video card, with the 4 pin connector installed, and see what happens. If you have another, known good, power supply, I would try that, otherwise you have a bad MOBO, or the 4 pin connector is not making good contact. When you say, you had everything hooked up, and it wouldn't start, are you saying no fans were spinning, no indicator lights, nothing?

just_a_nobody said:
Try removing the video card, with the 4 pin connector installed, and see what happens.

Hmm... I did that and it worked. Then I put the video card back and left the 4 pin connected and it worked this time. I don't understand why it wouldn't do it before.

Well, anyways, thanks for you help!

Jynweythek said:
when I removed the 12V 4-pin connector from the mobo, it came on right away
doing this to a motherboard damages it, and you may have already toasted the system. never boot a computer without all the motherboard and video card power connectors in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back