Weird Wireless Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first got my laptop the wireless worked fine but since then I've had some rather puzzling issues.

Even though my wireless is turned on, I can't seem to detect wireless networks. However, my computer will still automatically connect to wireless networks that I have already accessed or that are set as default. So, when I'm at home, it'll detect that same wireless I've had for two years now but if I try to get on a friend's network, my computer doesn't find anything. This has been going on for six months now and I'm finally fed up.

Of course, I've tried all the obvious things: restarting the computer, turning my wireless card on and off, making sure I have all of the latest windows updates, etc. but none of it has worked. I'm getting really fed up with this thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please help guys!

This sounds like classic spyware!! I've seen spyware cause all kinds of different problems.

Download/install/run the following 3 anti-spyware utils:
  • Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free.

Repost if you still have problems.

Ah, I'm afraid that didn't work. Didn't really have any spyware to speak of, and my wireless is still on the fritz.

There could be an issue with the wireless nic card/drivers. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers from either your installation disks or downloading updated ones from the manufacturers website?

Is this a wireless card PCMICA or built-in wireless?

Shouldn't have to un-install drivers, sound like you have another issue there?
Which OS are you running.. When it was working find when did you first notice a problem and if you did? Was there anything new added to the laptop or hardware or software? Did you change some setting for wireless or the router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back