Western Digital and Maxtor Cant Play Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidkid1

Okay, I have these 2 drives chained together on an IDDE card (PCI), one is the WD and the other is the Maxtor. When they share an IDDE ribbon, they dont show up as mounted, when they are booted up one without the other on the same ribbon / cable they show up fine, even directly on the MB, nothing, independently works but the second I daisy chain them off the same IDDE cable...nothing. It came to the point where now I have them on separate IDDE channels solo working great.

Does anyone know of imcompatible drive issues between the two or am I missing something?

vidkid1 said:
Okay, I have these 2 drives chained together on an IDDE card (PCI), one is the WD and the other is the Maxtor. When they share an IDDE ribbon, they dont show up as mounted, when they are booted up one without the other on the same ribbon / cable they show up fine, even directly on the MB, nothing, independently works but the second I daisy chain them off the same IDDE cable...nothing. It came to the point where now I have them on separate IDDE channels solo working great.

Does anyone know of imcompatible drive issues between the two or am I missing something?

Did you make sure to jumper one as master and the other as slave?

Drives

Sure did. Actually they are both slaves. There is another chain with a drive with the OS.

If they are both slaves then that is the problem!!!

You need to set 1 to master and 1 to slave or both to cable select and they will then work together.

That's the only way ide based hard drives should ever be set. Having 2 masters or 2 slaves on the same data cable will not work.

are you sure? I never had that problem and this is the fourth system Ive built. I thought a master was only a drive with an OS on it. Feel free to edumacate me.

Ive built 50+ systems, I'm 100% sure. Its been that way from my fist 66Mhx dx2 to my latest amd64bit.

The first drive on both cables should be master, and the second drive on both cables should be slave. This stands whether they are hard drives or optical drives (cd&dvd drives).

Unless you set them both to cable select in which case the mobo decides which is which by it setting the one on the end of the data cable to master and the other one to slave.

Well I'll be a Gundark's uncle. That is why TECHSPOT rules! I did what you suggested and the drives are fine and playing together well. Thanks a bunch. To all you TS newBs, posting here is like having 'friends in the business".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back