WGA problem after running xp for over a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidabiri

hi,
i've been running my windows xp since november of 2005 with no problem. i purchased it from a reputable retailer. it's an oem version, since i built my own pc. last week i got a message to install an update from microsoft about wga or something like that. i postponed it. this morning i got a message that my xp is not genuine, "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting". then i ran wga diagnostic software from ms. it says "geographically blocked PID". anybody had this problem before? i've heard that this wga is screwing up people who have had legit copy of xp. how do i go about this? who do i contact. are there any phone numbers for ms?
thanks.

I am NOT paranoid BUT I think MS$ is launching a GET VISTA campaign.

I mean, if Windows Update has given you repeated updates after checking all this time, then you WERE legit.

Having said that, YES, call MS$ and complain. LOUDLY!!

:)

work around

This wont really "fix" you issue, but it will get rid of the WGA warning (until you reinstall it)

Run regedit

navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify

delete the WGA key

reboot

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify]

it is there, are you sure you are under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and not "HKEY_CURRENT_USER"

hi, i have Winlogon/notify key, but there is no WGA key under notify. A lot of other sub-keys though.....since 2007 a LOT has changed.

Time to be careful here - quite clearly MS has completely lost control over what is on peoples PC's under the WGA scheme. No wonder they are in deep do-do over it.

HOWEVER, the original post comes from 2007, and the person concerned was installing an OEM copy of XP on his own-build PC, which is exactly the sort of things WGA was designed to prevent. The logic of that - it's MS, who said logic? - is that he got a copy of XP at a very reduced (bulk purchase) price. If he wants to carry on using it, he has to pay full retail.

very true

well, the WGA should be there if the "Windows Genuine advantage" update is installed.

As for it being an OEM copy on a home machine, there should be no problem there. so long as the product key is legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back