What’s your favorite linux distro and what do you use it for?

yRaz

Linux forum seems a little inactive, I'd like to change that.

So, I'll start off! I'm currently using Linux Mint as my daily driver. I'm working on getting virtual machines to work, very unsuccessfully so far, lol! While most games run fine on linux these days, I'd like to have a windows 10 VM I can simply turn on whenever I wish to play something that I can't on linux. I know that basically every game can run on linux these days, but I'm not that good yet. So, in the interest of getting my to use linux as much as possible, I want to avoid dualbooting windows 10 like the plague. If anyone is interested in doing this with me, I am using THIS GUIDE

I also want to play around with other linux distros in VM's because it just seems easier. I also have a lot of computers and computer power around my house, I'd like to learn more about technology in general so I can make use of it. I have 2 Ryzen 2700X's each paired with 32GB of ram and 3 Ryzen 1700X's with 16GB of ram each. Each computer is pair with either a 1070ti or vega 64. Down the road I'd like to play with remote management, AI, building a NAS, having a local webserver so I can get back into webdesign and maybe throw in a few game servers because, why not?

I'd like to learn more about technology in general so I can make use of it. ... Down the road I'd like to play with remote management, AI, building a NAS, having a local webserver so I can get back into webdesign and maybe throw in a few game servers because, why not?
Then you REALLY need to get out of VM and go to Dual Boot where you learn Linux.

For webdesign, I use Cygwin emulator on Win/7 where I can run AMP (Apache, MySql & PHP) that is native code which can be uploaded to a live server. Even Cygwin is better than any VM for learning. Yes, I can start a local Apache server on Win/7 -- even on my laptop.

Then you REALLY need to get out of VM and go to Dual Boot where you learn Linux.

For webdesign, I use Cygwin emulator on Win/7 where I can run AMP (Apache, MySql & PHP) that is native code which can be uploaded to a live server. Even Cygwin is better than any VM for learning. Yes, I can start a local Apache server on Win/7 -- even on my laptop.
I actually have my old laptop set up as a webserver on my LAN. It was many an experiment but I actually use it now. I Use LAMP. My whole deal is I'm trying to learn Linux and networking, everything else is just stuff for me too try when I'm bored or a way to test if things work.

Yesterday I tried to change my main pc to ubuntu by setting up a dual boot on it. While I absolutely love linux and have it as a daily driver on my laptop the moment I started using my peripherals(Razer products) I realized how limited the experience was and in just 5 minutes I was deleting the partition.

I'm mostly an ubuntu fan, currently on ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop. In university we only use Linux and I've come to love it, but thats only because we only use our pc's for virtualization and media consumption.

Were still a few years away in driver support and games support before I can even consider linux as my main OS for my desktop unfortunately.

Yesterday I tried to change my main pc to ubuntu by setting up a dual boot on it. While I absolutely love linux and have it as a daily driver on my laptop the moment I started using my peripherals(Razer products) I realized how limited the experience was and in just 5 minutes I was deleting the partition.

I'm mostly an ubuntu fan, currently on ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop. In university we only use Linux and I've come to love it, but thats only because we only use our pc's for virtualization and media consumption.

Were still a few years away in driver support and games support before I can even consider linux as my main OS for my desktop unfortunately.
Actually, I have been gaming a good bit on Linux. Basically everything in steam works on Linux, linis tech tips recently made a video about it. You enable steam play in the settings and it handles setting up any game you own on linux.

Actually, I have been gaming a good bit on Linux. Basically everything in steam works on Linux, linis tech tips recently made a video about it. You enable steam play in the settings and it handles setting up any game you own on linux.

I do use it on my laptop it works but still the peripheral issue and other crucial software on windows side keeps me locked to their ecosystem

I do use it on my laptop it works but still the peripheral issue and other crucial software on windows side keeps me locked to their ecosystem
My gaming controlelers and peripherals work just fine but I'm using the latest version of Linux mint

My gaming controlelers and peripherals work just fine but I'm using the latest version of Linux mint

For razer peripherals there are open software drivers such as openrazer to customize them I just cba turn my main gaming pc/workstation to linux. Avoids me less trouble down the road if and when I need linux I just deploy a virtual machine for whatever requirement I need it or I can use my other linux pc's.

I finally dumped windows 10 a few weeks ago and strictly use Linux Mint on my gaming desktop as well as all the laptops in my house. No more windows systems except for my work laptop.
Gaming on steam has been decent, performance is great but having some issues getting the assassins creed games working but I believe thats because of the uPlay application which is god awful

I threw Windows out the window 3 years ago. I started with Linux Mint. It was a mighty good way to discover Linux. I recommend it to anyone who wants to switch from Windows to Linux.

I now use Debian 9.9, and Q4 OS. Debian 9.9 runs smooth as glass on my desktop. Q4 OS is on my laptop, and on a separate drive on the desktop.

I tried running Arch Linux, but discovered I had too little experience for it. I'll likely run it as I gain more experience with Linux. Suse ate my system, and wouldn't give it back. I didn't like the DTE (Desk Top Environment) with Fedora, Manjaro, and Ubuntu. They're great distros but not to my liking.

I very highly recommend a solid state drive. You will get blazing speed from them.

Last edited:
You might have to install Wine. Wine is an emulator that can run some (not all) Win programs.

n078Idqlo59F0h9pp6Jk1tFmJTNuizuswQClelYWQRQ.jpg

I just had to god dammit.

You might have to install Wine. Wine is an emulator that can run some (not all) Win programs.
yeah ive used WINE before but had a lot of issues with performance on games so I am trying to stay away from it. Regardless I rarely have time for games anyway

Manjaro is my favorite. You get all the benefits of Arch — cutting-edge packages, great hardware support, the Arch user repositories, the latest kernels, and a supportive user community — in an easy to install and use distribution. I prefer the XFCE flavor, but Manjaro offers versions with pretty much every desktop. Powerful enough for experienced users but simple enough for newbies, Manjaro is the best distro I’ve ever used.

Regards,
Adrian

yeah ive used WINE before but had a lot of issues with performance on games so I am trying to stay away from it. Regardless I rarely have time for games anyway

Contrary to what I've read, Wine wouldn't run my Win based graphics program, Page Plus 9. I think Page Plus might be too big a bite (no pun..honest) for Wine to swallow.

Been running PopOS lately. Very close to Ubuntu for usability and performs quite well.
Ive been wanting to try PopOS lately. I'm building another computer to put in my bedroom and I've been thinking about putting either PopOS or Manjaro on it. Linux Mint Cinnamon has beeny daily driver for over two years so I'm most likely going to keep it on my office PC.

The only game I've had a hard time running in Mint is Arc: survival evolved. However, I do have a 1070ti and nVidia doesn't exactly play well with Linux. It's getting better but it's still not perfect. I'm going to drop a Vega in my main gaming rig once I have the chance and put the 1070ti in my secondary gaming rig.

I've seen a lot of videos on PopOS so im relatively familiar with it but I am excited to try Manjaro. I know very little about it and I love to tinker

Ive been wanting to try PopOS lately. I'm building another computer to put in my bedroom and I've been thinking about putting either PopOS or Manjaro on it. Linux Mint Cinnamon has beeny daily driver for over two years so I'm most likely going to keep it on my office PC.

The only game I've had a hard time running in Mint is Arc: survival evolved. However, I do have a 1070ti and nVidia doesn't exactly play well with Linux. It's getting better but it's still not perfect. I'm going to drop a Vega in my main gaming rig once I have the chance and put the 1070ti in my secondary gaming rig.

I've seen a lot of videos on PopOS so im relatively familiar with it but I am excited to try Manjaro. I know very little about it and I love to tinker
Depends what you want to try. Manjaro has access to the arch repos and a different package manager so its something different whereas PopOs is quite close to mint/ubuntu. I'd give manjaro a chance you might like it if not just hop to PopOs.

I saw someone posted to this thread the other day even though it is an old thread, but I'll add my take.

I have been using OpenSuSE LEAP 15.2 and its prior versions for many years after dumping Redhat many years ago.

The PC I have it installed on acts as my internet gateway, firewall, router, caching DNS, NTP server, network storage - through samba, and DHCP server for my home network. The PC is an Athlon 5350 based system on a Asus AM1M-A micro ATX motherboard into which I have installed an Adaptec Bootable pci-e RAID controller that hosts my network storage as well as the OS itself.

It took a while to get the kinks worked out of it, however, it is running very reliably, and I find that it very rarely experiences problems when updating to a newer version. I have also easily switched between ISPs a couple of times in the last few years, and I would not consider switching my distro to something else. The forums are good and I generally get help from them for any problems I have had, and if there are problems with newer versions, mentioning them in the forums seems a very good approach to getting them fixed in a not-too-distant future release.

Back