What a good Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goliath9

hi guys

im getting a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ or AMD Athlon 64 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor , just wondering what is a good motherboard for this cpu that will give me the expansion room and future upgrades. Please i would love to here ur advice and opinion

Need to know a bit more about your needs.

Do you overclock?
What are your graphics needs. Do you plan to stick with integrated?
(you should get an empty Pci-E x16 slot even if you plan to use integrated)
Need, or interested in sli/crossfire?
Need onboard sound?

The Asus A8N32-SLI is a nice board. I personally wouldn't use it's SLI capabilities, but I like it's power management features and the fact that it has no chipset fans. Nice and quiet. It is also an amazing overclocking board.

Has plenty of SataII, great integrated sound, plus all kinds of other bells and whistles.

They ultimately do the same thing, allow you to use two graphics cards at the same time for that extra kick of FPS.

Crossfire is ATIs version, and SLI is nvidia's version.

But here's why I don't agree with either. Now, I have one 7800GT in my system and it FLIES. Why, dear god WHY would I need two of them?

OK, so maybe in 6 months the newer games might be a little slow on my one 7800GT, so I could be a second one, right? Nope. In 6 months from now, the 7900 series will be out, and one 7900 card will outperform two 7800GTs.

That's why SLI/Crossfire setups don't make sense to me. Unless you have an unlimited budget and simply want THE BEST for the sake of having the bragging rights (which I admit, sounds like fun), then it just ain't worth it.

But if you have the cash to blow.....

A crossfire motherboard with two X1900XT cards is just plain cool.

I also think sli\crossfire are stupid, because if you buy a 7800 or another good gfx card now and later you buy a second 7800, you will get better graphics performance, but you wont get the new technologies built into newer GPUs, and therefore it just doesn\t make sense unless you have enough money to buy two 7800 now.

SLi or Crossfire are good for very high res, like a 30" screen. I think one top end card is good for most people for atleat a year or two.

The 7900 cards have reviews all over the web today. A 7900gt is as good as the 7800gtx 512mb, for the price of a 7800gt.
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717&p=1

Ati has a new chipset out called the 3200 for Crossfire, it should be very good. NForce4 is very good too, and prooven in both SLi and none versions. If you don't want to overclock many boards with VIA and SIS chipsets are fine with just single video card. I have a Nvidia 6100 mobo (Tforce6100-939,) and I think it's a great choce for a single card system, it overclocks great.

Jesse_hz said:
I also think sli\crossfire are stupid, because if you buy a 7800 or another good gfx card now and later you buy a second 7800, you will get better graphics performance, but you wont get the new technologies built into newer GPUs, and therefore it just doesn\t make sense unless you have enough money to buy two 7800 now.
well the newest rage is multiple GPUS on ONE card. Personally I can't see spending money on miutiple cards.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back