what a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

okay so my buddy has dsl, and his stepmom wants her old linksys wireless router hooked up. so i took their working internet down, acheived through a dsl modem, dlink 4 port router, and one of those $99 boxes that has 2 buttons on it (internet on/off). so i pretty much put the linksys where the dlink was, and i got the desktop to reconize it, and the laptop with a card to recoize it, and connect to it. the internet light was blinking, the port light was blinking, andthe wireless b light was working. no internet whatsoever. i did the 192.168.1.1 thing and looked through the settings. resetted the thing 3 or 4 times, used different orts, took the incoming conection through the internet port and the switched ports. couldnt figure it out, then she told me that it was hoked up for a few years at her old place, then quit working. so i figured it was either fried (wich i never heard of) or it was ust being a pain like my linksys router i bought in a kit 3 years ago, it seriously took me 2 days to set up ( but that was back in my early geek days). she figured it was fried anyway, and said she was going to bestbuy to pick out another one. i told her netgear g speed for 30 bucks, since i recently got one of those, and all that is required to set one of those bad boys up is a cd. so anyway, i tired hooking up the old setup, and i couldnt get any internet. i tried going direct from the switcher, dlink, and even the modem and couldnt get anything to go.

and ive gone through every setting i could think of in windows and al i get is a "conected at 100 or 10 mbps"

i told them id have it right soon becuase iust dont get it.

So what do the routers say about their internet connection on the status page?

How did you configure the WAN port of the routers? Did you put in a PPPoE password (if needed)?

the linksys just says the defaut settings, i cant get into the dlink or th alpha sheild. the wan ports are setup like this, dsl modem into the alpha sheild, alpha into the wan port on the linksys, then linksys intothe nvidia lan port (which is enabled). then i tried taking the alpha sheild straight into the switched side of the linksys.

ive never dealt with PpoEE before (im sure i typed it wrong)

Uhm.. Maybe you should take a look into the router's manual and see what it says about setting up DSL. Ask the stepmom or the ISP whether a password is needed and what the username/password actually are.

Also, try to get the thing working without the alpha thing and only add it after everything works.

Linksys sets a default password of "admin" with the user name left blank. I haven't worked with DSL for a long time, but the default settings should work except for changing to PPPoE on the opening page of the setup screen

yes, my dsl requires that i set router to pppoe or whatever and then type in the username and password, dsl isnt like cable, as cable you dont need username or password, but dsl you do.

Your DSL ISP (Internet Service Provider) should have mailed you or given you the required user name and password for your account

In the past DSL was setup through the router, but a lot of new DSL modems are setup by ISP when you call them to active it so more likely modem is doing all the reconnecting. This way you're limited though and the speed is more slower.

That's why it's better to go cable..

The speed is really no different if properly done with decent equipment. We just tested a series of them, finding only that those of 1.5 GHz were down a bit. Qwest does most DSL installs online now with aide of a CD install disc. We find the only problems are that the tech support people in Manilla cannot speak intelligible English, and that it takes them three to five days to get a round tuit.

Come on there is a speed difference with DSL and Cable for now. Unless you live in area where they're using 20Mbps down as I was told AT&T was going to do soon for ADSL.

That part is true. I though you were saying that there was a difference between DSL established through the router, and the DSL established or installed on line.

lmao, i feel like somthing this fourm will star out.
heres what happened, my cable 5mbps service requires you to plug and play. dsl requires pppoe which is a username and password. now i couldnt figure out why it wouldnt connect, last night we had them reset the password to the account so we could set up secondary email accounts. turns out we didnt change the password in either of the router screens. right now i have the modem working, alpha sheild working, and wireless linksys router working. i was even lucky enough to get the WEP turned on. i reread the posts and they make sense now, we all mess up, thats why we come to these fourms, so dont get fussy, like someone does everytime. lol. thanks for all the help :)

tipstir said:
Come on there is a speed difference with DSL and Cable for now.
In your area, with your service providers maybe.

Really, unless you have 20MBit cable or more, then there is no speed difference technology-wise. The only speed difference is caused by the phone/cable infrastructure in your area and the policies/possibilities of the service providers in your area.

In the past DSL was setup through the router, but a lot of new DSL modems are setup by ISP when you call them to active it so more likely modem is doing all the reconnecting. This way you're limited though and the speed is more slower.
Ermm. so you are saying that if you get a 10Mbit DSL package, it will actually be slower than 10Mbit because the ISP installs some inferior "modem" device? I'd say you should sue them :)
As I have already said before, in 99% of the cases, internet speed is limited by the policies or possibilities of the service provider, not by the used technologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back