What Antialiasing setting do u use by default?

What Antialiasing setting do you use by default (or most often)?

• Off (no antialiasing)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 2x

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Quincunx Antialiasing

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 4x

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 4xS

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Commando

Now that my upgrade is complete and my stability problems have been sorted, I thought I would get back to playing GTA3 as it was meant to be played with a good constant framerate.

Not just being happy with the more constant framerate, i'm now concerned about lessening the 'jaggies'.

So...

I'm using the "Quincunx Antialiasing" setting in the display option because I think it is the best speed vs quality option to use by default for games.

The poll question is, for Geforce 3 or 4 owners, what Antialiasing setting do you use by default (or most often)?

I use 4x with 2x anisotropic filtering mostly as I play a lot of Counterstrike. With this I pretty still max out on frames per second in Half Life. Other games I knock it back to 2x as my system starts to struggle a bit. I actually have Counter-strike settings saved and a standard less aggressive set of settings as well so I can change between them very easily in the display settings.

Check out the TechSpot Geforce1/2/3/4 tweaking guide for more information on driver settings.

I typically play with AA off - just play at 1600 instead. AF being turned on is good - but setting it too high is not worthwhile for me. I absolutely have to have a good frame rate. 1600 is typically locked at 90 fps for me running on Q3 engine.

LNCPapa

One thing I have noticed is that GTA3 is so unoptimized that it can't handle AA being enabled, the FPS doesn't remain constant enough even with 2x AA on.

I use 4xsAA simply because i can :p ...although i have to say i cannont tell the difference between that and just plain 4x
-Though when playing GTA3 i have to knock it down to 2xAA, but leave 8x AF running

Snowy wat 3DMark do u get with that system ??:confused: coz u used to have it in ur signature (that is where i got the idea from):grinthumb

My best 3dmark2001SE result is now in my sig for comparison.

and in other news....it appears all new XFX TI4200 64mb cards have been underclocked to 250/444 (same levels as 128mb) because of an old bios revision.

I received and updated my video bios from XFX support and funny enough the card now runs at 250/513 rock stable!

My result is good but not the best for a TI4200 system, should be getting ~9100 3dmarks or so according to the average.

My ABIT bios still needs tweaking properly and correctly.

Leaving my memory settings using SPD and tweaking anything else that would make a difference...

My 3DMark2001 score has improved by 600 3dmarks and system so far appears rock stable. :D

I've learnt something, that is, 'don't mess with the memory timings, leave it using SPD which is already setup correctly for memory rating'.

If you like to compare scores then re-check my compare url below in sig. :grinthumb

Originally posted by Cucumber
I use 4xsAA simply because i can :p ...although i have to say i cannont tell the difference between that and just plain 4x
That's probably due to using anistropic filtering, in D3D you'll notice a big difference between that & other FSAA modes if you've anisotropic off.

GeForce3: 1024x768 with Quincunx (for AA play), 8x / 64-tap anisotropy... only see a noticeable performance hit in newer games.

GeForce2: 1024x768 with 2x AA, 2x anisotropy, noticeable performance hit on FPS's.

R8500: 1024x768 with 6x Smoothvision (Performance mode), poor performance at times, AA rarely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back