what ATi (aah, AMD) manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain828

I know every big manufacturer of nVidia GPUs (hell I know some of their product lines by heart) and I've never owned an ATi GPU, so I have no knowledge of their builders.

Seeing such nice specs on the soon-to-be-released-on-march-9th X2800XTX and having an uber low-end GPU (ASUS EN6600), I want to get to know some of their manufacturers (specialized ones) so I can put to good use these 700EUR I plan on spending on a new GPU (that's besides RAM and MOBO) when that mean monster GPU ships.

I would be very grateful if someone would tell me some ATi manufacturers.

PS: the only one I heard of is Sapphire...

Don't forget: Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and Powercolor. HIS is usually rated pretty high and are reasonably priced.

A few more are Club 3D, Connect3D, Palit, Jetway and Diamond. If you go to ATI's/AMD's site you can find their partners listed. Click here for a link.

BTW, F1N3ST listed ATI. Unlike Nvidia, ATI actually makes its own graphics cards that compete with its partners.

Thanks guys.. and yeah, I already knew about ASUS and Gigabyte (anyway they're total solution providers)
Oh, and I don't think I'll touch those "few more" mailpup; they don't make good products.. trust me.. got friends w/ probs on those

One more question: Which one do you think is the best?

I wasn't recommending them. I was just listing them to help answer your original question.

My favorites would probably be Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and Powercolor, although I would consider a couple of other brands. One thing about Asus is that on at least some of their high end models (Maybe all. I don't know) they use a different size built in fan connector. Ordinarily that doesn't mean much but if you try to buy a third party heatsink and fan to replace the OEM one, such as Artic Cooling, the fan connector that comes with the new cooler will not fit the Asus graphic card connector. It will fit all the other brands but since Asus chooses to use a non-reference connector, you will have to splice wires. Just some semi-interesting info.

Sapphire is really good, they've worked with ATI all the way from the start. HIS seems to make a lot of really funky coolers for most of their cards, which is quite cool as they perform much better than the stock coolers.

@agi_shi That GPU you were pointing at is on PCI.. it doesn't support a large cooler because of extra power consumption and because someone that buys a PCI vga doesn't use it for hardcore stuff

@F1N3ST I agree, HIS seems to be the best.. but you gotta give Sapphire some credit on this beefy monster

Anyways thanks very much for giving me some info about ATi's (AMD) manufactures. Think I'll go with a HIS.. now just to wait for the R600

Hey guys,
I had never heard of HIS, but they seem to be a good ATI manufacturer.

Thanks.
I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR card, that performs very well and it had a great price at Newegg

Link to HIS

The 9600XT is a very good GPU, powerful (for it's time..), but you should consider upgrading. You should wait for nVidia to launch the 8600s...

wolfram said:
Or maybe ATI's possible X2600 series....
The X2800GTO looks a lot more promising. And if I remember correctly it should cost ~300$.

Captain828 said:
@agi_shi That GPU you were pointing at is on PCI.. it doesn't support a large cooler because of extra power consumption and because someone that buys a PCI vga doesn't use it for hardcore stuff
No man, I know that ;) ! I was pointing out its.... weirdness... It just looks really odd. Seems it's that way so that it can fit into cases that aren't too wide to fit a full-size card.

agi_shi said:
The X2800GTO looks a lot more promising. And if I remember correctly it should cost ~300$.

Nice, but I wouldn't pay $300 bucks for a video card. In fact, I wouldn't even pay more than 200 for it. :)

wolfram said:
Nice, but I wouldn't pay $300 bucks for a video card. In fact, I wouldn't even pay more than 200 for it. :)

Me neither, my video card and memory were both gifts ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back