What Computer Should I Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadpill924

I want to buy a new computer in when I get enough money. I need a new one because people say I should just get a new one because this one is 4+ years old and shouldn't bother being upgraded. I mainly play games and surf the net and have a lot of software I will want to redownload, so could someone find a good computer for me that has lots of RAM, good video card, good sound card, don't need a monitor.

THIS is a computer someone told me is good I think it looks pretty good with its specs and stuff.

SYSTEM SPECS:
Manufacturer:
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD

Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz

Memory:
512MB RAM

Hard Drive:
80 GB

Video Card:
RADEON 9200 SERIES

Monitor:
Proview Widescreen

Sound Card:
SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [E000]
(no sound right now don't know why https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=511640#post511640 )

Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Hello Leadpill. I will do what I can. Most computers like HP and Dell and stuff are not good enough for me. I build my own computers. Look at Alienware Area 51 computers.

The problem is, a new PC is likely to only come with Vista. Right now, that is a poison pill for gaming. You might easily find your favourites will not run properly. The hardware requirements for Vista are just ridiculous, and it wont be acceptable until SP2 in my opinion.

You have an alternative to get more Ram (1 to 2Gb for XP is great - but I would advise completely NEW Ram, dont try just adding to it) and possibly a better video card. You are likely to get much more performance from this low-cost upgrade than you would from a new Vista-based PC for a lot of cash.

I am assuming you are actually on XP now?

gbhall said:
The problem is, a new PC is likely to only come with Vista. Right now, that is a poison pill for gaming. You might easily find your favourites will not run properly. The hardware requirements for Vista are just ridiculous, and it wont be acceptable until SP2 in my opinion.

You have an alternative to get more Ram (1 to 2Gb for XP is great - but I would advise completely NEW Ram, dont try just adding to it) and possibly a better video card. You are likely to get much more performance from this low-cost upgrade than you would from a new Vista-based PC for a lot of cash.

I am assuming you are actually on XP now?
Thats right, I do have XP. I will post my info, and you can tell me what I should upgrade please, and with what. Thanks. I appreciate it and sorry if I sound bossy just that I have a bunch of problems on my comp right now. Oh and please tell me how much it will cost.

Like others have said... If you plan on doing gaming, then look at something that does not have vista. IMHO, building a computer is not a hard task, and you can generally get a much better computer for roughly the same$$ if you know where to look, and you can load XP on it and not have any gaming problems.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back