old system=
P4 550 3.4Ghz
Abit AA8 mobo LGA 775
1Gb Geil DDR2 4300 ram
Antec 500 watt psu
250gb sata hd
Radeon 800xl video card
and a few dvd burners.

uses= video edditing, c++, autocad, music dvd watching, schooling(not little kid stuff like word)etc...

I dont get it...what is wrong with your current CPU? I mean 3.4 is enough to do said tasks..

I would deff. go watercooling before spending $800 on a CPU that is barely 400 mhz faster than your current setup and anyways most anything that fast these days WILL run hot. If someone offered to buy you a new CPU try and convince them to spend about half the money and go watercooling. Silent and cool, alot better than 400 mhz I would say.
Jonathan

paintballproam said:
some one has offerd to pay for a new one. mine runs way to hot. long story. and if i can get a new cpu for free :grinthumb

If it runs too hot, don't get Intel :stickout:. AMD's are faster, cooler and more reliable. But if you insist, get this unless you feel like really milking this deal and get this. And since they are Intel, they run very hot so go with the water cooled suggestion.

EDIT: Or you could always just hook me up with that 3700+ I've been saving for. :slurp:

hmm

flashmonkey said:
unless you feel like really milking this deal and get this
That dual core cpu will not run on his chipset...he needs a 945 or 955

As far as amd reliability, look at the amount of CPU problems assocociated with AMDs compared to Intel on the boards....and the heat issue, your right on the money (as far as the prescott core) but saying that all intels run to hot...well thats just not true.

As far as upgrading....i just dont see the point...if you do alot of serious video editing, a dual core would be an option...but not without a newer MB. I say do the water cooling, oc the extra couple of mhz and take the money & buy lottery tickets or something.

i'm all up for trying to cook a full course meal off of the heatsink on my prescott right now. Seriously though, like everyone else has said. Your current cpu looks to be dandy dude. go for the watercooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back