What do you think of this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a gaming PC unless you add a graphics card but otherwise it's fine. The only part I suggest you change is the power supply. Apevia is also known as Aspire which has a poor reliability reputation among power supplies.

Hard drive: I have the same one. Works great.
Motherboard: By coincidence I am considering buying this motherboard for a budget PC for a relative. With the addition of a decent graphics card and other appropriate components it can be turned into a good gaming rig.
Power supply: Weak link.
Memory: Excellent brand, good choice.
Processor: Good processor. Might be overkill depending on the purpose of the PC but that's okay with me.

Edit: If you are going to use Windows XP, make sure the "kid" knows how to install SATA hard drives. I don't mean just attaching the screws and plugging it in. Read your motherboard manual regarding SATA/RAID drivers and how to make a floppy disk for their installation during the installation of the OS.

mailpup said:
It's not a gaming PC unless you add a graphics card but otherwise it's fine. The only part I suggest you change is the power supply. Apevia is also known as Aspire which has a poor reliability reputation among power supplies.

Hard drive: I have the same one. Works great.
Motherboard: By coincidence I am considering buying this motherboard for a budget PC for a relative. With the addition of a decent graphics card and other appropriate components it can be turned into a good gaming rig.
Power supply: Weak link.
Memory: Excellent brand, good choice.
Processor: Good processor. Might be overkill depending on the purpose of the PC but that's okay with me.

Edit: If you are going to use Windows XP, make sure the "kid" knows how to install SATA hard drives. I don't mean just attaching the screws and plugging it in. Read your motherboard manual regarding SATA/RAID drivers and how to make a floppy disk for their installation during the installation of the OS.

Thanks. I dont expect it to be an extreme gaming rig. I would just like to be able to play the newest games at medium settings or whatever. Any reccomendations on a video card?

A graphics card depends somewhat on your budget but here are a couple of cards:

SAPPHIRE 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 or maybe

XFX PVT73GUGD3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

The Radeon is a better performing card but costs a bit more. If either of these two cards are too expensive or don't suit you, there are other choices, of course. Did you have anything different in mind? Also, this cards are both DirectX 9 compliant. If you want a DirectX 10 card to take full advantage of Windows Vista, then we need to look at other cards.

Don't go too cheap on power supplies. The one you selected has only 18amps on the very important +12V rail. This is better:
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-PN ATX2.2 500W Power Supply

It's really a 450W power supply with a 500W peak maximum but it has two +12V rails with 18amps each. But the final power supply choice you make will depend upon all of the other components you select, particularly the graphics card.

I will I will go with the radeon. Will I be able to run new games at good settings? And do i really need directx 10?

Yes, you will be able to run most games at good settings. The future will always challenge your hardware and future requirements will keep increasing but for now you will be fine.

You can live without DirectX 10. Eventually you may move to it but for now to get the equivalent or better performance to the X1950Pro in a DirectX 10 card, you would have to spend more. You also need to have Vista installed.

wibtr said:

hard drive: good
motherboard: adequate, actually the dell dimension E521 has the same motherboard, u wont be able to run SLI for nvidia or watever ati has
power supply: 500 W is good, but the power supply should be more energy efficient. how about this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032 or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007 (this is the one i plan on getting from my bro for $50)
memory: ur memory's really good. u'll be fine at 2 GB
processor: ur processor's overkill; plus the wattage is crazy for that processor. 125W!!!!! stick with the amd athlon 64 x2 5600+. its 2.8 Ghz and its only 86W. here's the link. i actually plan on getting the amd athlon 64 x2 5600+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103771 (plus u get a free game)

im not much of a computer expert. so my information may be flawed. if i do have errors please correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back