What do you use your computer for?

HuntForTheWOrst

For E.X Some people use it for their bussines other's use it for personal stuff,while people like me use it to browse the internet and play games.

I use mine for school, work, and research. Occasionally I'll use it for gaming, but a MBP is pretty limited in what it can do in that arena.

Primarily for serious on-line gaming, and a lite dose of web surfing, e-mail checks and sends through Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, and the very rare typing of word documents through Microsoft Office 2007 Word.

I don't use mine for gaming like most people, just for sorting things out over the Internet mostly (online banking, ect..) I also use it as a media center storing my vast library of music and photos, plus other stuff.

Everything from gaming to office work and running VMs and everything in-between.

I separate my needs to specific computers. This machine that I'm typing from now is my gaming machine... it has no productivity software on it at all and is only for playing games and viewing media. I have a central fileserver that hands out media and documents for all of my other machines as well as provide scratch space for any running projects. I have a torrent machine that also doubles as a transcoding machine. There's an HTPC that does only media playback to my home theater. There are machines for testing and at least one machine for every other member of my family.

http://www.duke.edu/~mepm/Computers/

I'm in the same boat as Papa.

My MBP is used for web surfing and chatting while watching tv, and occationally it is taken somewhere so I can do some school work on it, Office stuff and ImageJ mostly.
I have a Mac Mini connected to my tv and stereo system for video playback and that is all it does.
I have a dedicated torrent machine that just dls and serves stuff out - typically to be played by the mac mini.
A windows machine for gaming and school stuff.
Another Windows machine that dual boots Win 7 and Win 8 CP that I use to play around on, nothing real serious. It also has a serial port which gets used to get runs/rides off a Garmin Forerunner 201.

Haha, I don't use torrents in the first place! ;)
Anyway my usage will be Geany or Gedit most of the time, if not Abiword for writing stuff and Chromium for TS.
Let's see. But I don't think I can persuade the office-girl to lend me the lab's monitor every time I want it. :p

The computer I'm using now was built specifically for gaming. Apart from that, I also use this PC to shop online for hardware. I rarely use it for anything else, except maybe to visit Techspot and two other sites: a muscians' website and site dedicated to Hemingway readers.

I use a laptop for work-related tasks, research and sundry communications. I have a copy of MS Office installed in that laptop. For now, I have Windows 7 on it, but will be switching to W8 soon.

I'm not much into the internet, I think, and am becoming less and less so these days. I am not a member of any online social network. I do not have a Facebook account, or Twitter, or whatnot. I will play online once or twice a month, maybe.

That's about it.

I'm a news fanatic. I have numerous news sites both local & International bookmarked. Alot of my friends have told me
its easier going to their inbox to get it from me, than channel surfing on tv.
Of course the latest tragedy is Aurora Shooting Victims
I also use this for pac man & keeping in touch with friends.
And like Dawn1113 said, I don't do ANY social media

I am using my computer for both business and personal use. I love to browse and chat with my friends on facebook, talk to my loved ones in skype, and for surfing and research activities for my business.

Currently using my main rig in support of my bid for world domination, but I think I need more RAM or something, because so far I am the supreme ruler of only a quarter acre and a 1 bedroom trailer...

Got the Mac for desktop publishing and the PC for the Office Suite tools to write documentation.
Soon web server code was being written and I needed Apache, PHP, Perl and MySQL for development testing.
Cygwin emulator is my compiler environment.
Quickbooks was added to support accounting and taxes (yuck- still hate that stuff).
iTunes became necessary to load the iPod.

Mr laptop is highly functional :)

No games (installed or online).

I don't have a TV, but I subscribe to Netflix and MotoGp so I can watch on my 24" 16:10 IPS monitor. DVD's can be ripped to hard drive. CD library is all ripped to hard drive as .wav files. Asus Essence soundcard plugged into NAD Integrated Amplifier c 316 BEE going into 2 tower speakers for music. Sennheiser HD 600 headphones plug into headphone amplifier on Asus soundcard for private listening. Web is used for news and research, often for product info or to university (alumni have some journal access). Also gets my e-mail. Can read pdf books, but I don't really like to read on the computer, but sometimes have no choice. Use MS Office.
No games, no social media, no camera, no torrents

Back