What does your sig mean ?

Didou

My sig is a quote from a British comedy show "Goodness Gracious Me". I could've also added "We're going to put the FUN back in FUNDAMENTALISM" but I like the other one better.:D

Some users sigs are pretty obvious, others seem rather mysterious.;)

Exactly as it says.

Plenty of folks with technological terrors here.

Just don't be too proud of them.

No matter how cool you are on the computer, there is always someone else better, with better equipment and more experience.

Fact.

Mine is also exactly like it says. There is more to you than your computer. Well for some of us there is, but me probably not.

I actually found mine whilst riding the bus...

Was traveling home from school, and passed an advertising company, which had strange slogans on a poster...
One day it "Kunstig intelligens kan aldri erstatte Menneskelig *****i", which I translated into what you can see below...

Mine stems from years child hood abuse and beatings...

Not really.

This is a common signature I use in many places, because I never can think of anything I like enough to put underneath my name.

Mine is from Babylon 5's Crusade, It is what the technomage Galen asked Captain Gideon in the first episode and was used in the opening credits.

I think I'm going to change it but you can rest assured that my new one will also be from the B5 saga

Originally posted by boeingfixer

Its either Dutch or Norwegion ! And sorry if I miss spelled i. :0

It's norwegian... As for misspellings, I've seen plenty worse! Believe me! :) Besides, as long as people understand you, that's the point of spelling... (Though even if I do understand d00d sp34k, I don't like it...)

Shouldn't be too hard to guess if you take a look at "location" on the left side of this post... Just ignore my working adresse ;), and you have which country I'm originally from...

my sig is a representation of what a mean person I am. j/k - it actually applies to all of us - I am totally dissatisfied with today's bandwidth. Even on our T3 at work I am unhappy. I am ready for the power-user to have a new step - cable and dsl has hit mainstream. I vote for gigabit in/to home!

LNCPapa

Originally posted by LNCPapa
I vote for gigabit in/to home!

LNCPapa

I do as well. I would to be able, not just to download movies as I can now, but to have them stream in, so that they are being downloaded whilst I am watching them.

The other day I downloaded Red Hat 7.3 - why can't I just get that in like 10 mins or something..... or actually downloaded it from the net and burn it to CD at the same time? An internet streaming CD write?!? Why not!

My God, all you folks out there will your little dial up modems and stuff.... how DO YOU manage!??!!

Dial up is dead. :dead: Unless you have an excuse for it (live in remote rural region, etc) you should ALL have broadband, or you are not experiencing the internet properly....

Not that long ago you said the internet had become rubbish Phantasm... Why would we all want broadband to experience rubbish ;)

Seriously though I have recently moved home and have gone from DSL to 56k and loading even the techspot homepage is a painfully slow process. I don't think I will be surfing much from home until I buy a flat and get a decent connection again...

Originally posted by Arris
Not that long ago you said the internet had become rubbish Phantasm... Why would we all want broadband to experience rubbish ;)

Television has become rubbish too. But there's still a hell of a lot of people watch it and there's still the odd good program on TV.

Same with the internet. I might be pretty much a lot of BS in terms of adverts, spamming, marketting ploys, etc... But there are still some good sites out there (like this one) and still a reason to tune in (like downloading films, etc...)

Just as I would propose that watching Television in black and white as opposed to in full widespread color with surround sound is "spoiling it" if you like, then also one must apprepiate that what's good about the internet, no matter how little that is, is spoiled by slow, unreliable technology like dialup.

P.S. Haven't you worked out that its futile to try and argue with me by now? Just agree with everything I say and maybe I won't pick on you... ( j/k ;) )

I wasn't arguing with you. Just pointing out that you were in favour of larger bandwidth to experience the crap that the internet has to offer ;) (which was just a joke in the first place)

I do agree that more bandwidth is always better.
Things like streaming movies, online multiplayer games, internet radio and such like can only benefit from increased bandwidth.
Still waiting for more news on Internet2...

high speed crap

mmmmmmmmm well, I've jut got a 1mb connection thru NTL and I'm very pleased with the speed at which crap enters my home, I can't get enough of it, Crap on telly, crap on the phone from Double Glazing salesmen (and women), crap at the do with jehovas witnesses and crap from the internet, why would I want to leave home with all this crap............maybe that why I smell..........?;)

Tha prawn:grinthumb

How do we manage with our dial ups? Well, some of us have come a long way, I can remember where we came from...how many of you remember 1200 baud? how about BBS in the times before anyone ever uttered the word Internet or WWW. Well, I can remember that and it doesn't seem that long ago in the scheme of things. Another thing is that it has only been three years ago since my ISP upgraded to 56k , It will probably be another three years before we get anything else here in the outskirts of nowhere.

I know where I came from - I started with an external 300 baud modem which I used to connect to the BBS in my area - still no excuse - I've raised my price - now I want terabit!

LNCPapa

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Exactly as it says.

Plenty of folks with technological terrors here.

Just don't be too proud of them.

No matter how cool you are on the computer, there is always someone else better, with better equipment and more experience.

Fact.

How many of you here know what address resolution protocol is??? Or Content scramble systems???

You use these things every day.

And I don't really understand them either. But I want to.

And you should ALL want to as well.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
How many of you here know what address resolution protocol is??? Or Content scramble systems???
You use these things every day.
And I don't really understand them either. But I want to.
And you should ALL want to as well.

Expand on what you mean with "understand"... understand what it does, without technical details, or knowing the protocl fully, with insight into different implementations of it, what other protocols could be used instead and strengths and weeknesses of them?

If it's the first, I think it might be a good idea... If it's the latter... Well, that'd require people to spend an awful lot of time studying things that might have no relevance to their line of work/studies...

As for the two protocols you mentioned, I'd guess the first one is how to resolve addresses, i.e. making a call to the dns to find the ip, then finding the route to that ip..

The latter might be for content encryption, or just simply how to determine what the packages that are sendt over the net should contain (in the body)...

.02$

Back