What exactly are hidden files and folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

top_model_guy

What exactly are hidden files and folders and why is it that a folder/file can be hidden yet I can still see it? How do you hide files? How does making a folder hidden affect the file and how it can be viewed? And if I hid a folder on my ipod would I be able to access it?

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

I am not sure about the ipod, I have no use for them.

The hidden attributes allow you to hide the folder for other users, this is the only effect it has on the files/folders.

You have to go to the folder options and choose hide hidden folders.
Refresh or close the folders and open it back up. Then you will not see the folder.

The drawback is, that anyone who knows this and gets on your system can undo it and get your folders. This why you encrypt such folders.

edit:I forgot to mention you have to open the file/folde properties and choose the hidden attribute first then the other option in order for this to work correctly

Its sounds like you are only clicking on the attribute and not applying the other option

"hidden" is just a flag on the file/folder, nothing more. It is up to the program whether it shows you the hidden files or not. "hiding" things this way is completely useless really.

A hidden flag on the folder means that you may not see the folder in the file listing. You can still navigate to the folder and do anything inside it if you know its name.

Yeah they do seem sorta useless, but I was just wondering because everytime I hook my ipod up to my computer I see the control folder is fainted so I think it's supposed to be hidden, but I can still open it; however if I'm at another computer I never see that folder. And when I search for a deleted file or something the search has an option for searching hidden folders and then you can still access the folder so, I just thought how can they really be hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back