What for 275$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMaster

So I won a GeForce 7800GT or 275$ at NewEgg here, and I'm not sure of what I'm going to do.

I have a P3 800MHz so I guess I'll take the 275$ instead... (The XP 2000+ doesn't count, my brother is rooted to the chair in front of it, that's fun especially since I'm the one who invested 800$ on it -- while he spent 100$)

What about this ?
MSI K8NGM2-L (With GeForce 6100 NB)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Leadtek TV2000XP/EXPERT (TV-tuner card)

I'll then buy say... 512MB of OCZ PC3200 RAM for 60$ at my local store.

I'll probably pull out the Audigy 2 ZS and Asus CDRW from the Athlon XP and put older generic hardware in it. Now I have to get an HDD...

I guess that the GF6 is sufficient for a non-gamer like me?

Last minute update -- I just read that the mobo has problems with Linux. Other suggestion?

Congrats on the card! or the money.

Thx! Also to the ones who replied in the headline comments!

Also, thanks for the suggestion. I might be able to get something else with that...

43$ for the Refurb BIOSTAR,
36$ for the Refurb Leadtek,
169$ for the A64 3200
27$ spare
- 256MB of RAM? Nah! Prefer getting a bar of 512MB for 50$ locally -- unless I can pay the extras to the 275$
- A PSU? Or will a 250W ATX or two be able to feed that?
- A mice?

I don't know anything about linux.

Most 250w PSUs don't have a four pin 12v P4 connecter(AMD needs it too now.) They use the 5V rail to supply the CPU, like older Athlons and P3s. Also now mobos have 24pin ATX2 connectors. I think this will do;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125484
looks like a Aspire, but has a real PSU. :hotbounce

It's in my cart, with the Biostar waiting for me to buyt it.

I don't know anything about linux.

-It's a LOT beefier than Win98 with KDE.(The interface that IMO looks better than XP and OS X)
-Easier to learn than Windows for people that never touched a computer.
-If you have a CD to lose, you could try Knoppix, fun to see a bit of Linux. Also, it has NTFS resize, etc. tools so it can be useful!

I think this will do;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16811125484
looks like a Aspire, but has a real PSU.
Mmmm! Looks good! But I don't know if I can pay the extras to the 275$ if it costs more. I don't want to pay UPS if buying from NewEgg(Might be at least 60$ + hidden customs brokerage fees!) Front USB, firewire, sound, temp, love that!

or

Most 250w PSUs don't have a four pin 12v P4 connecter(AMD needs it too now.)
I just have to buy Molex connectors with pins I think... Or maybe a wire adapter?

And a case... DIY it with ¾" MDF?

Kinda scary riging up those PSUs.
Check this out;
BIOSTAR TForce6100 Socket 754 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
with that you get $10 of a cpu, like this(okay)
AMD Sempron 64 2500+ Palermo 800MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - Retail

and a good PSU like,
FSP Group (Fortron Source) ATX400-PA, version 2.0, SATA, 400W Power Supply - OEM
edit_
+no risking the refurb bin. I had to send back on mobo form there because of a bad Vcore regulater circut, and I kept one with a blown PS2 mouse port(useing a USB one.)

I have my Biostar Tforce6100-939. I'm like'n it. I have had my 3200+ Venice E3 up to 2.9ghz! Can't get this mobo to do 300Htt yet. :)
I have never needed to clear CMOS ever! It does it it's self. :bounce:
I realy like all the overclocking in one page of BIOS setup, and MEMTEST86 in the BIOS EPROM!
I've had a few problems I can deal with. I do wish I bought the retail one.
It would not boot the Windows MCE05 CD on the secondary IDE, had to force feed audio drivers form my Asrock's CD and I had problems getting a temp monitor to work. But it's working great now! :cool:

Read some other topics, you told you would have prefered not to get the refurb. version. I finally went with a DFI RS482 mobo, 2x512MB Corsair ValueRAM and a LiteON Lightscribe DVD burner.

Techspot's New Year's contest(There were 4 winners). You had to post news comments and they selected the best ones.

The prize was either an nV 7800GT or 275$ at NewEgg. Since I have no computer with a PCIeX slot, I decided to go with a the 275$. (In fact, my father just got one a week before the contest ended, but I didn't know what I would have done with the X1600Pro) Also, I'm not really playing games(Rarely, but maybe a computer with nice specs could help ;-) ).

DragonMaster said:
Read some other topics, you told you would have prefered not to get the refurb. version. I finally went with a DFI RS482 mobo, 2x512MB Corsair ValueRAM and a LiteON Lightscribe DVD burner.

I realy would like to have the accessories and a longer warenty. I void warentys anyway, but 15 days is too short to try everthing out. I think it's too many problems for a real noob. I don't thick of you as a noob, but the thread you read was by a one.

Oh, OK. Also they always seem to have something that's not working with the RFB'd mobos.

I don't thick of you as a noob,
I would seem as one for my age though. (But I etch PCBs and should start programming microcontrollers in a few weeks)

Just looked at your profile, you build speakers and play music? I'm just building a pair of speakers and play music!

No, I can't play. I listen. I design and build speaker cabnets. I have a few years of electronics, and some programing from a Tech collage back when I was in high school. I built some computers there too. That was 17 years ago.

My mom kicked my dad out when I was 10 and me when I was 15. I lived with a friend. I thank God for his parents. After graduation I moved and got a job in construction. I was wasted on drugs for well over 10 years. Then I found Jesus. I've not been the same since.

Now I have four tendinitises and a bulging disc in my back, and numerous perscriptions for pain killers. I'm not addicted to any, I only use what I need.

Life is good anyway. Four boys, a wonderfull wife, house, car, truck, and more computers than I know what to do with. The American dream. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back