what happens if i set my crossover frequency too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearcrest

hey i was jsut testing stuff, put my cross crossover frequency to 500 see what would happen, sub just got high pitched, turned it back to 66 just wandering could i have ruined somthing doing this?

oh ya, guess i should have mentioned that,

computer audio, with 5.1 lansing speakers and soundstorm which is what i used to up the crossover freq.

You didn't hurt your sub with high frequencies, it's just not designed to go as high as 500 Hz, (if 500 referes to the frequency).

66Hz is probaly to low for a computer speakers sub, you would need a really, really big, probably expensive home system in order to need to set it that low. Not knowing your system, I would suggest to start at around 120 Hz, and go from there, probably up, a little at a time. Adjust it to suit your taste, but you want a smooth transition of frequencies, between you satetllite speakers and you sub.

An easy way of explaining, is, the crossover, as you have found out, keeps the higher frequencies from going to the sub, (and the lower frequencies from going to the sats). IF, you have specs on just the sub, something like 35-120Hz, that means that 120Hz is meant to be the top end of the sub output. Your satellite speakers handle the rest of the frequency range, ie. everything above 120Hz or what ever your specs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back