What is a 2.4A Ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am shopping around for a CPU. (P4 socket 478) and I dont really plan on doing any of that fancy schmancy overclocking business. I keep running into this: there are CPU's that are just plain old X.XXGhz and then i also see X.XXA GHZ. what is the "A" or sometimes "E"?

I think the "A" means that it has intel's Advanced transfer cache.

As for the "E" it stands for Extreme.

Usally the "E" or any other letter coming after it just refers to some feature on the CPU. They usally dont require any special accomidations except the usual of having the correct slot, i.e. LGA775, 478, etc.

Hello,
the "A" stands for no HT technology. I know because I have one:( but the good thing about it is that you can overclock it higher than that one with HT technology.Look at my gallery:)

"A" is used to make the difference between a Willamette & a Northwood based Pentium 4. The difference between the two is more cache (512kB vs 256kB) & a smaller die (0.13 vs 0.18).

The "B" was for Northwood based Pentium 4s that used a 133mhz FSB as opposed to 100mhz (& the 3.06B had HyperThreading).

The "C" was for HyperThreading capable Pentium 4s which happened to use a 200mhz FSB.

"A" is usually the first revision of a cpu speed, it could mean the cpu has a 400mhz fsb, while a "B" version might have a 533fsb, or a "C" version might have a 800fsb, and an "E" version is a version has the newer "prescott" core, and more cache(1mb, vs 512kb). Sometimes an "a" can be 533fsb though. It's complicated, say intel has a 3ghz chip on a 533fsb, if it's the first 3ghz chip it's likely an "a", if they then come out with a 3ghz cpu with a 800fsb it could be a "B", and if they have a 3ghz prescott core, it's an "E".
C is almost always a 800fsb, and an E is always a prescott. A and B can vary.
EE is the version for "extreme edition".

Example, a 2.4A 400fsb, 2.4B 533fsb, 2.4C 800fsb, 2.4E prescott. All 2.4ghz, different bus speeds.
Intel is just confusing.

I have never seen A indicate anything other then a 100mhz Northwood based Pentium 4 & B for a 133mhz Northwood Pentium 4 (with or without HyperThreading). I don't think they "vary".

Hate to correct you but mine is a Prescott with 1024 cache and thats why it runs real good and stable.I bought it for 8 months and I have no complaints with the power:). Or did Intel make a Northwood with 1024 cache?? It doesnt have its name direct on the Processor so I dont know for sure but I do know prescotts have 1024 cache. With the Intel tool I read out the qualification and the numbers for the processor, other than that I dont know!!But who can say for sure??? I'm not a professorjust somebody who reads alot:)

Didou said:
I have never seen A indicate anything other then a 100mhz Northwood based Pentium 4 & B for a 133mhz Northwood Pentium 4 (with or without HyperThreading). I don't think they "vary".

Actually they can vary. For example I have a very strange intel cpu in my dell pc(that I modded), it a 2.4A ghz. According to your definition, it should be a 400fsb northwood. It's not, it's a 533fsb, 1mb cache, prescott, without hyperthreading. It really doesn't make sense, I think it should be a 2.4E, since I think 2.4A is already taken by a 2.4ghz 400fsb northwood chip.

Here's a link to it.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...cFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

Ackually I have the Processor with that discription (SL7E8)and it has on the processor a FSB of 533 thats why I have concluded that it is a Presscott.I'm running it at 752 FSB with 3.4ghz at the moment but I've turned it up to 3.6ghz in bio post but in windows shows 3.58ghz with watercooling of cource.But since March I'm running it at 3.4ghz with no problems what so ever. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back