What is a good forum for Website building and design

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyDevil13

This site has been very helpfull to me for PC problems but I just bought FrontPage 2003 and want to build my own website and could someone steer me in the right direction on what forum I should use if I run into problems?

Thank You Kindly
Craig

Not TechSpot. Do a Google with what you need help on.

And you just wasted good money on a crap program. If you start with FP, you learn all the wrong techniques.

The reason many people LIKE Frontpage(FP) is it is easy to learn and HIDES all the details of HTML.
This can be used to learn what a good & bad MMI(Man-Machine-Interface) might look like and behave like.

However, good web designers want to learn the details so as to be able to both know what to do
and what not to do. Sadly, FP creates so much Microsoft specific code, that you usually end up with a
website that can ONLY be viewed using the Internet Explorer - - not a good choice!

By writing HTML by hand, you will soon discover reasons for things like
server side includes, cascading style sheets, and hierarchial menus.

MMI(Man-Machine-Interface)

Though HTML itself could be described as the MMI.

IMHO, frontpage is good only for the first few webpages a person does. In creating the first few web pages, you should find any number of reasons why it's easier to edit the code itself, and so acctually learn some code in the process.

After that, it's Dreamweaver (or preferably Notepad!) all the way.

Spike said:
Though HTML itself could be described as the MMI.
the generated output ie: screen layout is the MMI. As HTM has a grammar, it
is usually considered a 'programming language' :)

I have never used FP, I use Dreamweaver MX and I believe it has an option somwhere to clean up html created by FP or Word

I ws being theoretical, but I do see your point, and you are far more correct on that that I am :D i was just taking the phrase literally. lol

sorry there man; I an engineer and some(many) times I get too literal :)
however, I feel that newbes ought to start off with ideas that don't need to be
unlearned, retaught, or lead to poor habits. apologies to all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back