What is a good Lan Protection software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacal

Hello its me again. Long time no see or type :p guys. Hope you all doing good for the most part.

Well for awhile I have been trying the old tell people what not do and what to do while browsing the internet at this place I working at, but no matter how much I tell them, unless I am standing over them they keep doing the things i tell them not to. Eg; opening emails for which they do not know the sender, clicking all over random pop pages and downloading and using limewire (of which always puts some form of trojan or virus onto the computers).

So what I am asking is, please for a good reference to a internet lan protection software, because right now a virus reached the main computer and norton is not really doing too well, (because my uncle does not really trust freeware all that) for the place where I work in.

Thank you in advance :D ;)

Hi,

Well I'd put their jobs on the line for risking the company's system security =p
Personally I find freeware still works the best; Often paying for a single security suite is still not sufficient protection from infections.

In fact, several types of malware tend to selectively target popular paid software like norton or mcafee, which really just defeats the whole purpose of getting them in the first place.

That said, I hope you find a good solution soon that your uncle finds acceptable.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

That's why you have administrator accounts and normal user accounts!

Disable Internet Explorer on all computers. Install Firefox or Opera. DIsable Outlook and Outlook Express on all computers. Install Thunderbird or Pegasus or whatever. Uninstall all weird software, do not give the users the right to install software.

On the firewall, only allow outgoing traffic on well-known and needed ports like 80 and 443.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back