What is the Communications port (COM1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

escaflownev1

I want to disable this port, but I'm not sure what it is. Its not the port I connect my monitor to is it?

the COM port is a DE-9 (it has 9 male pins on the motherbard) serial interface used for data transfer, and is often included for legacy support, though there are still numerous peices of hardware that use it today.

To disable this in Windows, access your device manager (right click my computer, click properties, click the hardware tab, then click device manager), Scroll down to the ports list (often after the network adapters). expand the ports list, and COM 1 should be visible there. Right click COM 1, and select disable. It will ask you do you really want to disable it, and click yes.

The COM port can be disabled in the BIOS, but this is usually a per computer basis.

Nope its not the one you plug your monitor into..

It has 9 pins and is D shaped kind of and is not used anymore, why would you want to disable it anyway.

But its your PC so here's how to get rid of it,

Go into the BIOS and look for Serial Port and set it to disabled, there may be more than 1.

Caution there will also be a setting for a "Parallel port" this is the long 25 pin type that connects to your printer and if you use it dont disable it.

Regards

Yes. The naming convention for serial ports is COM1, COM2, COM3, etc. The number signifies which one it is.
if you want to find what it looks like, it will most likely look like this, though often with a teal blue background:
250px-Serial_port.jpg

Often amerature equipment, like radios and some scientific equipment use it. Some network hardware uses a serial port for configuration purposes.

APC UPS's nowadays use a RJ-45 dataport that connects to a USB port. =)

I have a Garmin Forerunner 201 (GPS pedometer that does a few other things) that uses the Serial port. It is a fairly modern electronic device, there still are some things that use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back