What is the difference between PAL and NTSC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PAL, NTSC and SECAM Comparisons
There are 3 main standards in use around the world.

P A L, N T S C, S E C A M

Each one is incompatible with the other.

For example, a recording made in the France could not be played on an American VCR.

If you or your clients view video tapes that are from outside of the United States, or send videos abroad, you must first convert the tape to or from the foreign television standard.

The system used in America & Canada is called "NTSC". Western Europe and Australia use a system called "PAL", and Eastern Europe and France use "SECAM". Without standards conversion, it is impossible to view a video program that is recorded in a foreign country without first converting the tape.

See the link provided for technical specification differences...

As regards DVD at least PAL has a higher resolution than NTSC. Dunno if that applies to TV & the like though.

It does apply to TV. NTSC is typically broadcast at 525 lines while PAL is typically 625. Not sure if this is still the case, but a while back it was said that HD broadcasts for PAL would be higher than HD broadcast in NTSC.

btw - I think it's important to add that Japan uses NTSC as well.

LNCPapa

Originally posted by erwin1978
I think NTSC uses 24 fps while PAL is 30 fps.
NTSC = 29.97 fps, typically referred as 30
PAL = 25 fps
Don't mix movie framerates with these. Those are sometimes 24 fps.
World Television Standards
There are currently 3 main television standards used throughout the world:
NTSC - National Television Standards Committee. The oldest existing standard, developed in the USA. First used in 1954. Consists of 525 horizontal lines of display and 60 vertical lines. Sometimes referred to as "Never Twice the Same Color." 
Only one type, known as NTSC M.

SECAM - Système Électronique pour Couleur avec Mémoire. Developed in France. First used in 1967. A 625-line vertical, 50-line horizontal display. Sometimes referred to as "Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method" or
SEcond Colour Always Magenta!"  Different types use different video bandwidth and audio carrier specs.  Types B and D usually used for VHF; types G, H, and K for UHF; types I, N, M, K1 and L for both VHF/UHF. Different types are
generally not compatible.
PAL - Phase Alternating Line. Developed in the United Kingdom & Germany. First used in 1967. Also a 625/50-line display. Proponents call it "Perfection At Last."  Due to the cost of the enormous circuit complexity, critics often refer to it as
"Pay A Lot".  Different types use different video bandwidth and audio carrier specs.  Common types are B, G and H; less common types include D, I, K, N and M.  The different types are generally not compatible.

It's ridiculous how they come up with numbers such as 29.97 fps. Why don't they just use a whole number like 60 fps.

THNX guys....i wanted to know this because i wanna buy a Playstation2 but i dont know whether to buy a NTSC or a PAL system....i guess i should get a NTSC now..

Actually, there is an error in my previous post; quote says there's only one NTSC format. There are two: NTSC-M and NTSC-J, for Japan.

Originally posted by yapmy
THNX guys....i wanted to know this because i wanna buy a Playstation2 but i dont know whether to buy a NTSC or a PAL system....i guess i should get a NTSC now..

You don't really have a choice. You have to buy one that will work on your TV, and also PAL games will not work on an NTSC console & vice-versa.

Difference Between NTSC and NTSC(M)

Dear Friends.

I am sridhar, Can anybody tell me the difference between NTSC and NTSC(M).

Thanking you in anticipation of favor
Cheers
sridhar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back