What is this task?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

I have been to Processlibrary.com, but it's kind of useless if you don't know the full name. It is something like Wmiprovise.exe or something. It happened with the last Windows update (auto). I am pretty sure it is also causing a 2-3 second stop in games.

Does anyone know what it is?

We definitely need to know the actual file name. I`m afraid something like Wmiprovise.exe doesn`t give us anything to go on. ;) Please go and check the file name and post back with the results.

Regards Howard :)

You see, that is the problem. I can't get the actual file name because it appears and disappears pretty quickly. Its user name is Network Service, though. Sorry I can't get the full name.

Here is a HJT log. One problem other than that, which is I have no clue what the file name is because it hasn't shown back up in task manager.

It wouldn`t happen to be wmiprvse.exe would it? If it is, it`s perfectly legit and nothing to worry about. See HERE for info.

It seems you forgot to attach your HJT log.

Your HijackThis log looks clean, although there is a questionable entry.

Do you or whoever owns the computer have a proxy set up? If not, fix the following entry:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080

Have HijackThis fix the following entry as well (this will reset your Internet Explorer title to the default):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer Provided by BellSouth® Dial Internet Service

Other than that, your HJT log is clean.

It is very possible that the process showing up was wmiprvse.exe, which is legit as Howard said. I used to have that in my Task Manager sometimes, but now I'm running Linux. ;)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Regards :)

Just to confirm what Kitty500cat said, your HJT log is clean as a whistle mate.

The R1 entries are also perfectly legit.

Cool, thanks for the clarification Howard. :)

Isn't the proxy potentially malicious though? Or is that highly unlikely considering the rest of the log is clean?

The proxy is fine in this case, I assume mopar man knows about the proxy server he is using. However, it wouldn`t harm anything to fix that entry if desired.

Yes kitty, I am using Bellsouth's Accelerator, which forces me to use a proxy. Thanks for looking though.

BTW, the accelerator works great. I tested it out turning it on and off, and it really does speed it up. It says that its average is about 17.2X, so that is 760.24kp/s, but then again my pci modem only supports up to 100 and something... :)

I used to have Bellsouth DSL and I used that accelerator before. It seemed to slow the computer down more than anything! So I removed it. I would test it more if I were you. I always thought it was a gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back