What is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

venger417

im building a new computer and the case ibought, a coolermaster centurion came with a little bag of misc stuff pictured here:

just out of curiosity what is the thick metal ring supposed to be used for shown on the bottom left side ofthe bag?? is also came with this small squar piece of plastic with adhesive back that i cant seem to figure any use for...

of course it isnot mentioned in the little manual that came with it..

The "metal ring" is a choke which is a device for cutting down interference, you really don't need it at all.

The plastic part it a tie strap anchor plate. You fit a tie strap through the loop in the top and use it to hold wires down and out of the way.

The plastic square is a Tie-wrap mount and the thick metal ring can be used to wrap the case front panel LED/USB/Sound wires around, to protect against electro-magnetic interference. I never use either of these things

Aren't we knowledgeable Ric and Mic

venger417 said:
wow i learn something every day....thanks for your replies i was just curious

Cool venger417,
we are never too old to learn something new... I've seen these used on some OEM computers, but as I've said, I don't use them except for maybe some tie wraps now and then

rik said:
Tmagic650, i worked in the electronics trade for almost 15 years!!:)

Cool Rik,
I really respect you and many others here... I started repairing vacuum tube Color TV's in 1969. I got a job at Ratheon in Southern California in 1979. I tested and repaired RADAR power supplies for the US Navy. So I too, have been in the Electronics/computer industries for a long time. I even worked on the MITS/Altair kit computers, in New Mexico. Bill Gates wrote the DOS for the Altair in an Albuguerque International Airport hotel room. I met him there

Kewl :) I was only a year old back in 69.
I have worked in several places. 2 different companies that made motion sensors, a place that made lift (or elevator) safety equipment, a company that made some amazing hi-tech micro thin multilayer pcb's, and a subcontracting company that made and repaired all manner of products from a simple electronic game to kvm's and submarine control boards.

I still have a big interest in electronics (i mean other than the obvious:)) and am one of the few willing to open up and repair pc psu's.

In fact, i had my trusty soldering iron in hand just a few moments ago:)

Before anyone complains about hijacking this thread, the problem is already solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back