What is Volt Modding...exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

Hey guys...What is Volt Modding? I understand you can enlarge the volts running threw the CPU and Memory, but why not overclock? Whats the diffrence? Is overclocking, o/c'ing the enitre AGP bus, card, etc? And Volt Modding, volt modding the CPU and Mem. alone? Why would it be better? Is it better to run more volts threw the CPU and Mem. alone, instead of then the entire bus/card? Just wondering, cause I dont quite understand this to the fullest...
Thanks,
Bucky:blush:

Are you talking about setting up a new CPU? Your CPU voltage can be set on the motherboards jumpers, but I wouldn't play with the settings unless it's too hot. Lowering the voltage by 0.1V might lower the CPU temp. That's what you had to do if you had a amd k6/2.

He is talking about volt modding a video card as shown on the techspot webpage. Unfortunately, I do not know what it is well enough to give an truly educated answer agissi - sorry.

LNCPapa

Thats, Volt Modding a Video Card ;)

Yes, I am talking about Volt Modding a video card;) . Thanks for reading anyway, LNCPapa.

Volt modding is usually done alongside oc'ing a card...

The theory is the same as with cpu oc'ing... You push the cpu until it can't run stable at that speed, then increase the core voltage until it's stable... You keep that up until you either reach the desired speed, or you can't push it any further...

The difference between cpu oc'ing and vpu oc'ing is that the vpu doesn't usually allow you to change the voltage... Thus you do a voltage mod to enable you reaching higher speeds...

.02$

Uhh, ok. But I thought o/c'ing did increase the voltage. If thats what volt modding is for, what does o/c'ing do?:confused: Jeeze, Im falling apart here:dead:

Overclocking doesn't increase the voltage per se. You are simply making a component work at non-stock speeds.

It can turn out to be stable at those "unofficial" speeds or unstable ( in which case, upping the voltage can help it to become stable ).

Sorry for the delay, we can take the Pentium3 as a good example here.

When it was introduced and ran at around 500mhz it didn't need much power, nor did it run hot.

Though when they started to increase the mhz of the chip (same as overclocking just that the parts get validated first) it soon required more voltage to run at that speed...

We are doing the same thing here, i.e. increasing the voltage to make it possible to attain speeds that would otherwise not be possible.

Another way to explain it is; we have 60 million transistors, they draw around 1,65v of power when they are switching at 300mhz, though if we want them to switch faster (increase mhz) they will also need more power...

Originally posted by Per Hansson
Sorry for the delay, we can take the Pentium3 as a good example here.

When it was introduced and ran at around 500mhz it didn't need much power, nor did it run hot.

Though when they started to increase the mhz of the chip (same as overclocking just that the parts get validated first) it soon required more voltage to run at that speed...

We are doing the same thing here, i.e. increasing the voltage to make it possible to attain speeds that would otherwise not be possible.

Another way to explain it is; we have 60 million transistors, they draw around 1,65v of power when they are switching at 300mhz, though if we want them to switch faster (increase mhz) they will also need more power...

Actually, as core size becomes smaller, voltage requirements become less.

You need more voltage if using the same core size. However, if you run a P3 1ghz Tualatin at the same voltage a P3 450mhz Katmai, the Tualatin will fry very fast - Way too much voltage. Tualatin I believe was 1.65v, Coppermin was 1.7V, and Katmai was 1.9V... I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back