What kind of PowerSupply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silence911

Hi i currently have an Asus p4p800-e deluxe, 3ghz p4(overclocked to 3.6), a thermaltake bigwater cooler, 1gig rami forgot wat make, 256mb nvidia geforce 5500, 2 maxtor HD(40g and 160g), one sony DRu-810A,, couple of fans. what kind of power supply would you guys recomend me to use, how many watts? cuss i had a 650w Chiefmax power supply which blew up yesterday after i used it for only a couples of months. thank you in advance

How many watts and what brand?
is it because i OC it 2much, if so how much should i over clock it 2? tat is safe for my PSU

Don't worry about overclocking too much. As long as your CPU runs nice and cool at that clock rate, you're fine. Now about the PSU, i'd say a minimum of 500W, maybe 550W. You should get one from Antec as they make some of the best PSUs around in terms of efficiency and reliability.

read this

silence911 said:
Hi i currently have an Asus p4p800-e deluxe, 3ghz p4(overclocked to 3.6), a thermaltake bigwater cooler, 1gig rami forgot wat make, 256mb nvidia geforce 5500, 2 maxtor HD(40g and 160g), one sony DRu-810A,, couple of fans. what kind of power supply would you guys recomend me to use, how many watts? cuss i had a 650w Chiefmax power supply which blew up yesterday after i used it for only a couples of months. thank you in advance

How many watts and what brand?
is it because i OC it 2much, if so how much should i over clock it 2? tat is safe for my PSU

Read this http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566. Than go for minimum 500W. :wave:

it's not so much how much power you have, but the brand of PS you have. Your CPU and graphics cards will usually take up the most watts, but since you have a 5500, that doesn't take up much power. for your system 400 watts is good, but like the above post i suggest a good renowned brand...i.e. antec or the Ultra series

i suggest a good renowned brand...i.e. antec or the Ultra series

Unscrupulous Power Supply Companies
Turbo
Ultra (yes, the pretty looking ones, they are made by a low-quality Chinese company that starts with "Young". Can't get much more generic than that!!!)
X-superalien
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

Ultra's look nice, but apparantly aren't up to snuff on the inside. Maybe newer ones are better now...?

Ultra

I have an Ultra X-connect 500W PSU. I did have to RMA the first one after a month, but the replacement has been rock-solid steady for 8 months. The lifetime warranty is attractive, and it is modular, so just use the cables you need. One drawback- there is no sensor wire to the mobo. They now have models with dual 12v rails. Just a comment. not necessarily a recommendation.

As an interesting aside, I recently read a test (can't remember where) that compared PSU quality as a function of weight! Turns out- in almost every test- the heavier, the better! :)

Good brands in the PSU market include: Antec, OCZ, Enermax, Fortron, Tagan, and PC Power & Cooling. PC P&C is the most expensive, but #1 performer. OCZ is the second best, and their prices are very affordable (OCZ Powerstream 520W is darn stable, and about $120 or so). The third choice I'd pick in terms of balancing price and performance is the Enermax EG565P-VE FMA 535w. It is dual +12V (18A + 18A != 36A. It's 34A because Enermax is strange :p). It can be found at Monarch for $80, and it is rock solid.

When shopping for psu's, don't take the wattage literally. That's the peak power, and most of the time a facade. With your system, which is bordering medium-high to high end system, I would avoid brands like ThermalTake and lesser-known brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back