What kind of printer should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dreck

What kind of printer should I buy?

My printer cost me a fortune in ink! I want to buy a new printer and want a bit of advice.
I would like to stay under $250.00
I want a printer that has drivers for windows and linux.
Of course I want good quailty printing..

Which is better ink cartrages or refillable?
Do I have anymore options?

Thank you for any response and or info,

dreck

Have a look at the Canon Pixma iP4000. Comes in 2 versions, one of them as wireless printer.
Has 5 cheap cartridges, beautiful colours, great for pictures, can print direct from Pictbridge compatible cameras, has parallel and USB connections.
In other words, not to be missed! AND is well in your price-range!
European versions can also print directly on CDs, not sure if this is available in USA.

I've got the same problem as dreck. I've got an Epson printer and I can't afford to keep it in ink. I'll have to take a look at that Cannon printer. Thanks.

I have the Canon smartbase mp360 all in one scanner printer copier, and it works great. I get cartridges for less than £2.50 each.

Priced around £100

IMHO well worth checking out

Regards Howard :) :)

I agree with realblackstuff's suggestion - my next printer will probably be a wireless version of the ip4000. Amazing print quality and print speed.

yeea

Thanks RBS for the link, im getting that right away. My dell printer (my mom got stupidly) is a racket. I have to go through their website to get ink, and the ink dosent last more then a day (ok maybe im strecthing it a bit :cool: )

Sean

olefarte said:
I've got the same problem as dreck. I've got an Epson printer and I can't afford to keep it in ink. I'll have to take a look at that Cannon printer. Thanks.
For Epson Printers. (They also sell other brands, but epson cartridges are super cheap).
www.tylermartin.com
The site looks like they might not be trustworthy but they are. I've ordered from them for about 4 years now, they ship things out same day most of the time.

Word of the wise though, their cheap ink is great for regular everyday printing, but don't go printing those precious family photos. The color will fade. I have not tried their more 'expensive' inks (which are still insanely cheap compared to picking up ink at a retail store), so they might be decent for pictures.

in janurary of 2002, my lexmark z11 cost me $22 (USD) at a flea market. i had to give it a good kick to make it grab paper every time, but it printed at 1200dpi (dog slow though) in decent color. it worked for years until, upon recently administering another kick, my boot went through the front and destroyed the thing.
lexmark makes a shoddy product but it'll get the job done to most standards, and ink never costed me more than 30 bucks a cartridge (which lasted for numerous months).

Go Canon - we're on our second Canon printer with our second computer, the first one (old BJC 265 or something) wasn't great but now have a multifunction ImageCLASS MPC190, its great, only AU$190 & does photos pretty well as well as good text & copying.

atkspade
did you ever look at this post of mine?
Dell Printer A940 Cartridge scam!

And the reason I suggested this Canon iP4000 is that I have one myself. Took me a couple of months to evaluate a lot of them, but this Canon beats most of the competition!
The 4000 is faster and better than the (more expensive) 5000 model!
I paid €125.- for it.

For normal black & white I use my old (1996) HP Laserjet 1100. This is still as good as when I got it 9 years ago.

My previous colour printer was a HP Deskjet 690C (very expensive cartridges).

Didn't get to finish that, its been replaced now by a MFC Pixma but go for the pixma regardless. Hewlett packards are gay... hehe they can't be but the ink is ridiculously expensive. Go the Canon.

I would get an all-in-one if I were you. A friend has a hp all-in-one and it has great prints and the scanner works great to can't tell the differeces between the scanned ones and the old ones.

WOW!

How about the feed back. :) Thanks for the great replys.
Canon Pixma iP4000. sounds good!
And their are drivers available for linux?

I couldn't find the wireless version on a google search?
That would be very nice!

Thanks,

dreck

I've refilled my ink tanks for several years now. I have a Canon S400. The newer canons are faster and just as easy to fill. Yes it can be a little messy, but if you wear hospital gloves (or get cheap like me and use a ziplock baggie to protect your hands). Ink is expensive for a reason, it's marketed that way. They practically give away printers to sell the ink.

Canon ink tanks are easy to refill. Get a tank refill kit. It comes with rubber stoppers to plug the hole you'll punch in the top of each tank. (each tank has a point on the top made by the factory to punch into.)

HP printers are a royal pain to refill, but it's still worth it cost wise.

go to cfriends.com to buy refill kits.

Don't buy Hewlett Packard though, not as yet, anyway: they're currently in court with some woman sueing them because some of their ink cartridges simply won't work after a certain date, even if you haven't used them, or once they use up a certain amount of the ink, something like with 25% remaining. Ultimate rip off.

realblackstuff said:
The wireless printer is the Canon PIXMA iP4000R, currently a $70.- mail-in rebate is available from Canon (till end of May)
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=10438

Buy it from Amazon and you'll get another $20.- mail-in rebate
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002RP2GI/103-8510212-1798219?v=glance
$229.99 with 70 buck rebate... That is a great deal. I am sold!

Thank you very much! :grinthumb

Lexmark X5150

I bought the Lexmark X5150 at Staples for $85.00. It is the absolute greatest printer I've ever used or owned.

realblackstuff said:
The wireless printer is the Canon PIXMA iP4000R, currently a $70.- mail-in rebate is available from Canon (till end of May)
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=10438

Buy it from Amazon and you'll get another $20.- mail-in rebate
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002RP2GI/103-8510212-1798219?v=glance
After reading the fine print I found out the rebate is not $70.00 for the printer but is for the camcorder only. :(
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/printer/PrinterDVCclaimform_040105.pdf

But I feel the printer is a good deal and meets all my requirements.
I just order the printer! :)

Thanks for all the help,

dreck

HP cartridges cost more because they have the print heads right on them, as opposed to brands like epson where the heads are seperate. Believe me when I say this can become a big issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back