What laptop to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastymad

Hello I am thinking of getting a Laptop I wish it to have wireless internet access but i don't know what to get. I am willing to pay £800. I would prefer to get it from a british company (no offence to other companies) as i will get support easier if anything goes wrong. So which one should i get? And what does WiFi stand for? Thanks

WiFi....
<networking> Either of two different incompatible radio-based LAN protocols, namely 802.11b (which speaks DSSS at 2.4GHz) and 802.11a (which speaks OFDM at 5GHz).

The term was invented by the marketing departments of wi-fi equipment manufacturers. It is, notionally, short for "wireless fidelity", on the analogy of hi-fi for "high fidelity" audio.

a really good and stable labtop that will run anything (alienware)

Here is the one I want to get, it can play HL2 and UT2004, and it's light and robust:

3415_large.jpg

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/334/C3415/

The 3400 model would probably be the best. I am planning to get it this year, probably in 3-4 months.

Very important is that it has 4 USB sockets, that is very important when you get a laptop, as you become more dependant on these external devices when you become more laptop-centric.

I will be upgrading the RAM to 1GB (already in old laptop) and may well upgrade to a 100GB hard drive later. You can use the old HDD in a caddy for extra storage.

"In most markets a high performance exclusive product that is accessible to mainstream consumers is virtually impossible to create," said Rob Enderle, Principal Analyst for the Enderle Group. "Acer, AMD and Ferrari continue to showcase that in the laptop market this unique combination, while far from common, is possible. This is what makes the Ferrari 3400 such a fantastic system and one of my own personal favorite laptop products."

id have to say between alienware and acer they are both good but the acer i have heard very good reviews about and i think i would buy that one also go with the acer

yes it means wireless internet and more basicly instead of getting a router its built into it and you dont have to get wireless component for wireless monitors,mouse,keyboard,headphones ect wifi has it all built into it its kinda a nice feature to have ...but its wireless so not everything works as well as it should i like to stick with wired definitly when it comes to gamming
but thats my opinion

I did consider some of the Alienware machines, but they are a little too pricey for what you get, plus the high end model is just too heavy I think, really it falls into the "luggable" as opposed to "portable" category of laptops. Still, having the ability to have 2 CD drives plus 2 hard drives was nice, plus the 4 SO-DIMM slots:

http://alienware.co.uk/product_deta...Code=PC-EU-LT-AREA51M7700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Ultimately, though I still think that the Acer Ferrari is best, and I am still going for this laptop I think when I get a new one soon:

3045.jpg

3047.jpg

http://www.notebookreview.com/defau...Ferrari+3400LMi+-+Mobile+Athlon+64+2+GHz+-+15

I've done quite a bit of research on this since I become more laptop oriented, and this is the one i personally want to get. It can play UT2004 and HL2.

I would be looking to upgrade the HDD, and I already have 1 GB RAM to upgrade it with, but apart from that its really sweet I think.

Do i need anything to make the "hotspot" in my house?
I know I sound like I don't know much that is because my area of expertise is more based around upgrading.

Well, I just ordered the Acer Ferrari 3400 plus spare power adapter and spare battery. I will be paying this off for a while! But its a fine piece of kit, and I did lots of research beforehand.

The only problems I can imagine are that the 64bit CPU has been known to have problems with XP service pack 2, but I will be doing a clean install over the factory installed OS anyway.

I did look at the other offerings from the likes of Alienware, but really the powerful ones were too expensive and heavy. All in all, the Acer Ferrari 3400 came up tops.

Do i need anything else other than the laptop to get wireless internet access in my home? eg somthing toplug into the phone line. :approve:

Well...........a router would help..;) I use Linkesys Routers exclusively..but there are a couple other good ones out there...You,ll get 802.11g ..Make sure you run a good Software Firewall with your NAT enabled Router (or SPI).

I bought a dell

I bought a Dell Inspiron 9100 i dunno why yur worried about tech support most companies are money grubbers anyways and end up offshoring to some rinky dink town in the middle east. But i bought a refurb'd dell 9100 cost me $850 thats with a ATI 9700 pro card 3.2P4 and only 256 ram but all i did was go to newegg.com and bought 1gb worth of ram for i thnik was $150 and i haven't had a problem yet with this baby use it everyday constantly and has the 4 usb ports and i bought a laptop cooling pad which has another 4 usb ports on it mine plays all games just fine. just my 2 cents though happy hunting.

Some of you might be interested to know that the high end Alienware laptops actually have RAID controllers inside them, and can handle 2 HDDs and 2 optical drives.

They also weigh a ton.

My Acer Ferrari 3400 is due to turn up in the next 4-7 days, so I will post when I get it and tell you all about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back