What motherboard should i get??

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxLairdxX

Hi all my computer is completely screwed up right know, to the extent it is hard to believe i can even wright this post. So instead of fixing i am going on the endever of building my own PC i have always waned to but have never had the time or the cash flow. So any way i already have a good graphics card and i'm preety sure im going to get the
-AMD Athlon 64 3800+ / 512KB Cache / 2000 MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Processor with Fan
The only thing im having trouble with is the motherboard. When ever i try looking into it i get confused can anyone help me pick a good motherboard for a reasonable price. I dont want to go over $150 canadian but if its worth it i might.just incase you need to know all the specs for the computer i want here they are

-AMD Athlon 64 3800+ / 512KB Cache / 2000 MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Processor with Fan
-Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply
-Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB SATA-II Hard Drive
-Radeon X800 GT 256mb display memory

Also if my hard drive doesn't go well with my other stuff please notify me, i wasnt to sure about compatibility.

Hey, nice cpu, looks pretty sweet. I Think you infact should go with asus. There very reliable, cheap, great support, and Ive used them forever and never had any problems with them. Here are some boards I reccomend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128268

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135175

check out those see what you think. you also have to pick out ram, and depending on which motherboard you choose, that will determine the type of ram. If you need help picking out ram, ill help you.

also, tigerdirect is always more expensive from newegg. Ive orderd from both, and newegg is always more dependable and cheaper.

awsskater892 said:
also, tigerdirect is always more expensive from newegg. Ive orderd from both, and newegg is always more dependable and cheaper.

While tiger generally is pricier than newegg, in this case the OP is using the tiger canada site, so obviously newegg will look cheaper because newegg uses US dollars, instead of canadian.
Not sure if newegg will ship to canada or not.

Ncix is a decent canadian site to buy from as well.

Ok i'm goin bigger i'm thinkin the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.60GHz cause theres a $100 sale on but that still may be too much could someone tell me if theres a good AMD between the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ / 512KB Cache / 2000 MHz FSB / Socket 939 and the AMD Athlon 64 FX - 55 2.60GHz both price wise and performance wise

ok this i my PC im gonna make

-Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

-Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB SATA-II Hard Drive

-Radeon X800 GT 256mb display memory

- AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.60GHz / 1MB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Hyper Transport / Clawhammer Core / Socket 939

-ECS C51G-M NVIDIA Socket AM2 (939) MicroATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

-Liteon 52x Black CD-ROM OEM Drive

-What ever floppy i have in this computer

So what do you think Great, Good, Bad, It will explode or not work plz i need some one to tell me this will wrk so i can get some sleep without constantly thinking about it
P.S Ncix was more expensive all other canadians i reccomend tiger direct!

Suggestions;

Switch out the Maxtor HDD for a Seagate. Too many people I know have had their Maxtor's die on them in a very short period.

DO NOT USE THAT PSU!!! PSU's that come with cases are almost always junk, as they slap them in there so they can charge a bit more for their case. Go with a better brand; Antec, Fortron, Ultra, Enermax etc.

ok now ive switched my hard drive to a
Seagate / 80GB / 7200 / 2MB / Ultra ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive
its cheaper and ive seen some good reviews. The thing i was actually worried about was the motherboard but thnx for the advice i_am_a_newbie

What do you mean AM2 isnt the same as 939? I know there different but the cpu i want has a socket 939 interface. Or do you mean that the mobo isnt compatible? it says am2 socket but then it also says 939. It says "If you’re ready to build an AMD AM2-based system, the ECS C51G-M Socket 939 motherboard is the perfect fit." that just screws me up because it says its for am2 but its a socket 939 mobo. Could someone plz explain this to me?

1. Don't pay any attention to that tigerdirect mobo discription. Socket-939 and socket-AM2 are not compatible with each other. also, socket-AM2 is 940 pins, not 939, but it is not the same as socket-940 for Opterons (as if you weren't confused enough already :rolleyes:).

2. ECS mobos don't have a very good reputation.

3. I would recommend going with a full ATX format, micro-ATX tend to be more limited when it comes to features and upgrades.

for not much more money you could get an MSI K8N-Neo4-F or an Abit KN8-Ultra. they are both better quality than ECS will ever be.

4. newbie is right, you should get a decent PSU to replace the garbage "450W power supply" that will come with the case.

cheers :wave:

Thanks for the advice king cody. The MSI K8N Neo4-F looks good. It doesnt say anything about it being good for gaming which im kinda looking for but i dont think it will matter seeing as i already have a good graphics card and cpu.

Also is the PSU gonna wreck the computer? I would like to at least try it out before i get a new one but could just using it once cause problems?

XxLairdxX said:
Thanks for the advice king cody. The MSI K8N Neo4-F looks good. It doesnt say anything about it being good for gaming which im kinda looking for but i dont think it will matter seeing as i already have a good graphics card and cpu.

Also is the PSU gonna wreck the computer? I would like to at least try it out before i get a new one but could just using it once cause problems?
There's a high possibility you will see no problem at all until you do something either GPU or CPU intensive, or anything else that might strain the PSU. If it is of low quailty; one of many bad, bad things could happen.

Ok now i see what you mean, most of the reviews i've been finding suggest getting a new power supply but they did say it works well with the ATX motherboards which mine is.I think i'll stick with mine for at least the first week but if i do end up getting a new power supply which company would you guys suggest.

XxLairdxX said:
Ok now i see what you mean, most of the reviews i've been finding suggest getting a new power supply but they did say it works well with the ATX motherboards which mine is.I think i'll stick with mine for at least the first week but if i do end up getting a new power supply which company would you guys suggest.
Personally, I love Enermax PSU's. But they are on the expensive side. Antec is a good alternative, they make good quality PSU's without delivering a big hit to your budget.

OMG Tiger Direct just ruined my plans! Everything was goin smooth, I had it all planned out went to order and those jerks had the price on the proccessor by $250!!!!!!! I'm gonna get another socket 939 so i dont have to change much and i was just wondering what CPU you guys suggest. Right now im checking out the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ with 1 MB cache and 2000MHz FSB. When i first came out i read some articals saying it wasnt too good but now im looking and it seems alright. What Do You Guys Think???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back