WHat Os Do u use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweakster

I read a post about Outlook freezing and it seems most of u use XP. Whould i benifit with XP rather than ME, i maninly play games and search the web a bit. Can someone add a pole please.

I use XP. Yes you will benefit IMO by running XP or 2k. But to fully benefit from it you will need AT THE MINIMUM 128megs of RAM and would suggest nothing less than 256.

I tried to add a poll to this but it apears my moderating privilages don't include that option.

If you run ME, then going back to 95 would be an improvement.

In all seriousness, XP runs far better than ME or any other 9x OS in my opinion. I would recommend though, that you have at least 256 MB RAM because it doesn't run very good if you try to lowball the specs. I'd also recommend at least 500 MHz CPU for the same reason. If you meet or exceed those specs then XP should run far better than ME.

I'm not saying XP won't run on slower less endowed machines, but the closer you get to the minimum requirements, the more problems I see. The further you rise above those requirements, the smoother it runs.

Perhaps it is a strong conviction rather than factual, but Windows XP is an infinite improvement over Windows Me for stability, functionality and security.

I don't even bother to compare the two OSes.. Windows 2000 and XP are on a completely different level from the rest of them.

256mb of memory will be enough to run XP smothly. Windows XP uses roughly about 40mb more memory than Windows Me, skimming off about 90mb of memory on bootup.

Yes, in my opinion XP is on a different level from 2k also. I haven't had a problem yet, and i've only had to format one time in months, but that was after an evil worm.

Whats the driver support like cause my installed computer comes with 3 CDs which contain all my instalation software inc word windows DRIVERs for hardware. Will XP have recent drivers as new as 2001 ?

Wow! You've shortened your list quite a bit Phantasm! Have you filtered through the ones you don't like already? Anyway I too use a few OSes.

Win98SE, Win2K Pro, Win2K Server, WinXP Pro, Redhat 7.3, Solaris 2.8 (I know, I should use 9), Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server 10.1.5, Mac OS 9.22 (against my will), starting this week I'll also be using Mandrake 8.2 PPC (got two old G3's given to me).

I do not use BeOS Mic.

LNCPapa

Originally posted by LNCPapa
Wow! You've shortened your list quite a bit Phantasm! Have you filtered through the ones you don't like already? Anyway I too use a few OSes.

Yeah I realised a lot of it was repetition, etc....

Win9x for legacy purposes, A windows server, the most up to date windows workstation and a favourate linux.

Windows ME (crap!) and Red Hat Linux 7.2

But as you can see from a certain other thread in this same subforum, I'm driving out 600 miles into the desert and ditching WME ;)

I also may get the latest Red Hat, to get into KDE3 :D

LOL Mic! It's only because it doesn't like my hardware. Would be kewl if I could get a PPC flavor of Be - got an extra Mac to install it on if so.

LNCPapa

I mainly used 2K/98SE/Mandrake 8.2 but I recently upgraded to an ATI Radeon 8500 & had to switch to XP to resolve some DualView issues.

It's now XP/98SE/Mandrake 8.2

Whats the driver support like cause my installed computer comes with 3 CDs which contain all my instalation software inc word windows DRIVERs for hardware. Will XP have recent drivers as new as 2001 ?

An Answers please ? I havent got any idea what exactly i would have to download so i would hope Windows could. It would be hard to find Sound, video, modem and mouse. But IDE motherboard i havent got a clue

Tweak - driver support in WinXP is nothing short of extraordinary. I don't think you'll have any probs with drivers unless you have something extremely old or super new.

LNCPapa

Windows XP does have great drivers, although not the best. If you truely want the best performance out of your system then go to the manufactorers' websites and get the latest drivers to install.

For instance, the Highpoint drivers are MUCH better than the default Windows drivers in terms of speed.

Still, if your not completely comfortable with updating drivers and risking system instablility then I would stick with what Windows offers by default.

XP has other features the rest cannot match.

I just upgraded from a KT7A to an AT7 mb, we are talking from SDRAM to DDR, 1.4 Ghz to 1.8 Ghz and different RAID controllers. I erased the hardware in the XP hardware manager and shut down, built the new box and put in the old RAID. The HPt 374 recognized the HPT 370 RAID and in five minutes I was in XP with all the new drivers - I did not lose ANY prefs or even game settings.
I have tried this type of thing with 98 and 2000, neither could come across that big of a hardware change.

It is the most stable Windows OS, it almost reaches Linux/Mac OSX stability.:p

Win XP is Microsoft's best effort yet, but beware. XP Home does not always act like XP Pro especially with networking. I've run both side by side and configuring XP Pro for special needs is effortless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back