What psu should i buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran

i am looking to buy a new psu i want around 500-700 watts and spend between 50-70 pounds. Anyone know of any good psu in that range.

the only two i have found that seem alright are

Coolermaster IGreen 600W PSU - 85% Efficiency 8pin ATX12V v2.2 120mm Fan
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/115010

Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU - With 3x 12v Rails and 120mm Fan
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114933

i know the last one is outside my price range but i heard it is pretty good.

what differance does it make having more 12v rails?

so the main things i want to look for are that the ampage value is high and that it provides the connections i need for my hardware?

Well I can offer support on many computer issues
But even though I know hardware well (many years experience) each time I reply on these issues someone replies saying, no this one is better.
And the others reply with try this one.

So therefore I've stopped advising on what users should buy.

Lets just say, good ampage, I like 650Watt (although it really depends on all the things you have installed) and another 12Volt rail, doesn't go astray.

Which I suppose prompts me to say:
Please put your System Specs in your Profile

If you have a proprietory computer like Dell; HP; Acer etc, please manually write this in the mobo field (ie Dell Dimension 3100 - as an example)

If you reply again (probably good idea to, so as your name has the last post), I won't reply, I'll just watch others responses

i have added my system spec to my profile and what benefit is there to have extra rails. i always prefer the advice of someone that knows what they are talking about so if possible can you pm your choose of psu then no one can comment on it.

i think i will either get the antec truepower trio 650w or a antec neopower 650w the only difference i can see is that there is a fan control connection for the truepower but the neopower has modular design so you can remove the cables. which design do you believe would be more useful the modular design or fan control?

Id choose Modular over Fan control because theres nothing worse than having wires all over the place that you dont use causing heat, Getting a modular PSU would keep youre case cool as well as tidy and easy to work on.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm sorry I couldn't help you further, as I cannot make a confident judgement on any internal hardware.
There are many others here, that do have this expertise, and I was hopeing for their replies.
Maybe if you give it one more day, for a response, you may receive more replies.

Multiple 12V rails is just a cheap way of delivering stable voltage. With new video cards pulling high amps you can run into issues with lower wattage power supplies not having enough amps on either of their rails. Problem is, single rails are pretty hard to find anymore - my guess is because it is expensive to have the ability to push 50 or 60 amps on 1 12V system, if you put 24amps over 2 or 3 it likely requires less expensive components, but I can't say that for sure.

Modular systems are nice for keeping your case neat, but you lose efficiency in the connections. Its probably not a big deal but I don't know of any data showing how much you lose.

Either of the 2 PSUs you listed will be fine, they are a complete overkill for your system but if you think you need something that powerful go ahead.

Optimally, I think you need 30% loading on the CPU (damn I mean PSU not cpu !!)
I'm sure I'm wrong about the figure, but 1000Watt maybe too much in any case

kimsland said:
...but 1000Watt maybe too much in any case

Earlier in the thread.
SNGX1275 said:
Either of the 2 PSUs you listed will be fine, they are a complete overkill for your system but if you think you need something that powerful go ahead.

1000W definitely is. I don't even think it makes economical sense to buy one with the intention of using it in future computers. PSUs don't last forever, and likely lose efficiency as they get older. Plus the future of computing is going to be more powerful hardware using less power than before. The only thing holding against that trend now is video cards, and do you really think we are going to see the only advancements being just running multiple physical cards to get performance over stuff like the 8800s? No, eventually video cards will go like CPUs and become more powerful and less power consuming.

go to tomshardware.com and read their tests and reviews before buying. Then use a PSU calculator (google it) and determine what you need. Add 30% to the results for cushion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back