What should I get??

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonwalker

First thank you for reading my thread. Ok heres my question.

I want to build a gaming rig.
I am going to get a:
e6600
8800 GTX
WD raptor 150gb

But I dont know what psu to get, what is a good motherboard for overclocking the e6600 to around 3.0ghz, should i get a 3rd party cpu cooler, what case should I get for some more room for expandability like another 8800 later or another HD, that is also cool n' quiet, what case fans should I get, how much and what kind of RAM should I get, XP or Vista, 64 or 32 bit, and is there anything else I need to get other than what I just wrote?

Thank for reading my question. And thnx in advance if you answere. Sorry if the questions im asking is stupid.

well it seems you dont have a small budget so I'd suggest a 680 board. The board you buy will mostly depend on the features you want, wifi,raid, dual gig lan etc. You dont need to spend a lot of cash to get a board that will put that cpu to 3Ghz, I suggest windows xp, vista still has a lot of problems, but then again, you need vista if you're gonna run that g80 card for dx10, so i guess that's settled. Yes you will need another cpu cooler, zalmans are good, unless you want to go watercooling. I'm using thermoelectric cooler. benchmarks for it are lower than any other cooling device at a decent price without using nitrogen and all those other crazy methods. Seems that cosair is getting the best benchmarks as far as ram. At least 2 gigs should do well with vista, I say go Cosair if you have the cash, if you need to save some buy some G skill, I'm running G skill 2x1gb and they run great. Hope all or at least some of this helps.

But....why would you oc that cpu?...if you get those parts you can max out any game that you may get..at least for now...

Ty you for the reply. While I was waiting for a reply I was reading around and saw that a lot of people have overclocked the e6600 without problems using the stock cooler. Is this true? BTW I didn't know mobos have built in RAID controllers and WIFI. Are they anygood or should i just get a RAID controller seperate? Same with the wifi. How about cases, PSU's, and case fans what should i get. BTW how much is water cooling, I thought it was really expensive, but my friends say it is way cheaper than before? Do i even need it? Is water cooling only for the cpu or does it also cool the case and gpu?

eazy_duz_em said:
But....why would you oc that cpu?...if you get those parts you can max out any game that you may get..at least for now...

Cause i was going to get a X6800, but decided i'd go about $600 cheaper and just overclock it to 3.0ghz. From what i've read it is very simple and usually 100% stable.

With the right motherboard thats true but make sure you take it step by step and read the FAQ on overclocking.

I suggest an ASUS motherboard and an Antec powersupply.(I got the BFG PSU cuz it was heavier)

Definately get at least 2GB of RAM.

Also I feel it worth mentioning that if you plan on overclocking case selection becomes very important, most water cooling systems use a 120mm radiator/fan setup, and having fresh/cool air blow on your hard drives and RAM will improve the stability of your rig while overclocking.

Basically get a BIG ATX case ;)

Rayss523 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119075

thats a bit pricy for a case. but if you can afford it go for it I should just warn you that 120mm fans are in general louder than 80mm fans so that might sound like a jet engine.

Not true, 120 mm fans do not rotate as fast, and price for price the 120mm fans are quieter than smaller fans, the smaller fans have to rotate faster to move as much air as the 120mm. So basically what you're saying is that the air is what makes the noise when its the spindle that the fan is on that makes the noise

Lower latency means faster response time.
Your DDR2 timings should be 4-4-4-12 to be most responsive.
At the very least, the CAS Latency (first digit in the string of numbers) must be 4.

RAM that is 5-5-5-15 is actually a very loose timing for DDR2 RAM. In fact, 5-5-5-15 is the highest stock timings for DDR2 memory.

Have a look around Newegg. For a slightly higher price, you can get high-clocked RAM @ 800MHz with tight timings @ 4-4-4.

No, the lower that all the digits are, the faster.

Sorry, I didn't exactly make my explanation clear there. Let me try to elaborate:

Memory latency is defined as the length of time between sending a request and receiving the response. Low-latency memory is more responsive than high-latency memory. You can determine a RAM module's latency values by a string of four numbers (also called timings) in its spec. It's enough to know that the four different numbers represent four different portions of the finding and retrieval process. For instance, a memory module spec'd at 4-4-4-12 would take less time to respond (would respond faster) than a module spec'd at 5-5-5-15. Make sense?

The lower all the digits are, the faster. But what I was saying was, if you cannot get 4-4-4-12, then just look for the CAS Latency (first digit) to be 4 (other digits can be higher), and we'll call that "good enough".

That's because some memory modules have timings that are not identical for the first three numbers. For example, the OCZ Platinum RAM (not Revision 2) has timings of 4-5-4-15. And that's "Good enough" for average non-overclocking performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back