What slows Windows down?

Hehe certainly, I had a lightningfast laptop and now it's as slow as a racingsnail.
What do you think runs on it, yup yup Norton Internet Security.

i knew norton will be number one at least on one thing. lol. i got rid of it 2 years ago. the only thing i have is bit defender. what do you all think about avast? is it pretty good? or crappy?

I noticed VMware Server adding a couple of seconds to startup time too (not that it would be a big deal to me), so I changed the VMware services startup types to manual.

Fortunately I still have a fast hard disk drive :giddy:

I agree with some of those, however, everything you do is gonna use system resources....? I believe the only things that should be on that list are things that are constantly running in the background, such as norton. I dont think programs such as photoshop etc should be on there.

Regards,

Korrupt

Applications that attach something to Windows Explorer can slow the system down after startup too. For example WinRAR / WinZip context menu has to be loaded when Explorer window opens, and if it's paged out, well, slows down. The same with "New..." right-click menu, applications can add a lot of things there.

lol norton, says it all just had to agree with everyone :) Has anyone emailed the results to symnantec? Good job on posting the link

I'm not totally susrprised - been telling my customers for 2 years to get shut

I use AVG and Spyware Terminator, the XP Firewall or NAT Firewall is all anyone needs in that department.

If you want to download AVG + Spyware Terminator (free and updates free) you can find them here www.pcpoorly.com (on the left hand side of the page

Chris
(PC Poorly Ltd)

Er, nope Howard not for 1 second!!!!

Soooo, who's for starting up LAN, League Against Norton???????????

Very interesting thread...makes you wonder how they keep selling Norton at the prices they do...when you can get the likes of AVG on a free download!!

Kaspersky rules

I use Kaspersky internet Security 6 and it works just fine...
Norton is crap indeed !! It took me some time to erase it from my computer and eventually I had to reinstall the OS...

Hey Guys,

I use Avast and it's great. It's light on the Windows XP and it does not slow down the computer. What's better is that it has strong network shields!! I recommend it strongly!

http://avast.com

Windows Slowdown

Until lately, I have had good success using BOOTVIS to speed up my PC loading....but lately it hasn't been so good...dunno rhy...I think it is a Microsoft program...Do a Google search to find it...Hope this helps.....

Back