What the ??? Short? Wrong place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewybo

Okay, I've checked everything I know how to, but cannot figure this out- I'm only putting this here because what I'm hearing comes from the sub of my Logitech z-5500d setup.

Often, when I plug in a USB cable, or touch anything metal to my case, I hear a "click" out of the woofer. I also hear it when I switch speeds on my ceiling fan.
Or when the washing machine switches from wash to spin. (The fan only does it switching from "hi" to "medium," not from med to slow.

Multimeter shows no faults anywhere on/in the case. Any electricians out there? :eek:

I had a subwoofer on my home stereo once that would pick up CB radio jibberish from time to time. When the AC would kick on in the house in the summer I would hear a pop from the sub, etc. etc......turns out the AC plug in the wall was not grounded. At least that is what fixed my problem...

no electrician here, but enough electronics theory to cover it..

like halo said.. grounding can be your problem, as well as bad wireing in the house/device... you can put it behind a surge protector to see if it helps reduce the amount of clicking you get...

Tried that--

N3051M said:
no electrician here, but enough electronics theory to cover it..

like halo said.. grounding can be your problem, as well as bad wireing in the house/device... you can put it behind a surge protector to see if it helps reduce the amount of clicking you get...

Was running through a sort of surge-to-surge protector (long story), but about two months ago, I switched to an APC Back-UPS. Same "click" level before and after. What makes me curious is- it didn't happen through my previous 5.1 speakers. (Logitech x530's. Not top of the line, but adequate) That sub never picked up anything like this.

I think the most worrisome part is the fact that touching a USB to the case causes it too. Hate to fry the insides due to just something loose. Thanks for all input. :knock: :suspiciou

have you considered opening up the case of the sub to see if its circuit board is ok? depending on how its put out, capacitors should suck up the excesss energy or there should be some sort of electrical dampening system... maybe try it at a different location or a friends place.. could be just that sub..

cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back