What to know about upgrading my CPU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmo

Guys,

I'm running:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU @ 1.8GHz, 400 FSB, L2 Cache Size 256 (850 Chipset Family)
1 gig memory
40 gig Hard Drive
300 Watt power supply

My motherboard supports up to 2.4Ghz. How can I be sure I am buying the appropriate CPU? What should I be looking for?

Also, Can I simply just unplug my existing CPU and install the NEW CPU (Like memory??) If not, what steps are needed to upgrade?

Thanks
Raz

Check which kind of socket is your old cpu (is writen on yourmobo manual) so tht new cpu must be same ....
So for instalation :
-unplug your computer from the power source
-disconnect old cpu(the heatsink has a metallic bracket so use a screwdrive but take care to not damage your mobo)
-connect new cpu
-put between heatsink and cpu some heatconductant paste(i'm not very sure about the name of this paste)Do not use too much!
-connect heatsink to mobo by bracket
-connect cooler to power
-plug comp to power source
-start computer and enter in BIOS and modify settings accordingly to your new cpu
-don't try to overclock it from the firs time
-save settings to bios
Now the computer will restart!!!
-enter in BIOS again and watch the temperatures few minutes
If everything is normal start your operating system

Enjoy....

Please bear with me, I'm new to this. I was good until...

"Connect cooler to power" -- Did you mean to tell me to first unplug the 4 prong power plug from the motherboard? Do you now mean to reconnect?

"Plug comp to power source" -- Do you mean once complete, plug in the computer and start?

"Enter in BIOS and modify settings accordingly to your new cpu" -- Do I enter BIOS in thr RUN menu? I just tried it and it didn't work?

"Don't try to overclock it from the first time" -- ???

"Save settings to bios" -- I'll guess the BIOS menu will allow me to alter settings and save as such?

Now the computer will restart!!! (OKAY)

"Enter in BIOS again and watch the temperatures few minutes. If everything is normal start your operating system" -- Still not sure what you mean..

Thanks,
Raz

In this case please take your computer ,find a technician or someone able to change your processor pay the bill and that's it.Anyway ,don't try to change it by yourself>>>you can damage it!!

The way I see it, If I can damage it so can anyone. Would anyone mind helping me out here?? Would it be possible for someone to provide readable step by step instructions?

Raz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back