What to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL_HarVEsT

Hi all,
This is my first thread here so be supportive :)
I have a TB Axia 1GHz@1.45Ghz, 128mb ram crucial, HDD seagate 8.4 GB 5200 rpm (I don't need more space) and a PSU 230W. I 've recently ordered a gf4 ti 4400 (yesterday I think :) ) and i 'd like to know what other parts should be upgraded so my system takes full advantage of the new vid card. I mention my PSU cuz i 've heard stories about gf4 needing 400W to work fine fine and i just freaked out! Keep in mind that I don't want to blow a wad of cash , see, i'm going to eurodinsey in two weeks and i want to save some brand new euros :)
Plz help

Welcome to 3dspotlight forums....

Definitely upgrade the PSU. For my Geforce3 and 1.4Ghz Athlon @ 1.5Ghz I really need my 350W (300W minimum). Athlon grabs about 40W at least and the graphics card won't be far behind.
Check out Enermax, Antec and a few other branded ones... Particularly dual fan units that can help with airflow too.
Check out this PSU thread from our old forums for more information....

I also used to run a 1Ghz Athlon(200fsb) but when I upgraded to a DDR board I switched to the 1.4. Performance increased with the processor speed increase. As demonstrated by people with GF3s and 2Ghz+ P4s the cards are not running at full potential and have more to give with more Ghz. So its maybe worth considering an upgrade of CPU.

One thing you don't mention is your monitor. No point having a GF4 card that can run 1600x1200 resolution if your running a 15" monitor ;)
I recently upgraded mines and the increased monitor frequency meant that the experience of graphics was again enhanced even though my GF3 is already out of date :(

And if your running w2k or XP I would recommend more memory...

Try the search features of the forum as well to find even more information about upgrading, the GF4 cards etc... (search button top right of page or in my signature).....

I would recommend a new Power Supply as well. Enermax makes a great 431w PSU. The model number is EG465P-VE. I have seen it as low as $81.00 USD. This will give you a much needed boot in stability.
One other thing is ram.. Arris recommended more memory and I do as well. 512mb should be the minimum now for power users. With the price taking a turn back down you should fill your board up.

One thing, How are you overclocking your chip so high? I have a 1.33 and the highest I can go is 1.490mhz and still remain completely stable. Ive oc'd before to 1610 but the computer wouldnt boot into windows..I have an AXIA chip as well and I use a Swiftech 462a to cool my cpu. Thats cool you can squeak that much speed out of your cpu. I wish I could get the same..

A new HDD can't hurt either. Maxtor has some 20GB 7200 RPM ATA133 drives that are dirt cheap right now. A 5400 RPM drive will slow down the whole system & 8.4 GB will definitly not be enough if you start playing games.

One thing, How are you overclocking your chip so high? I have a 1.33 and the highest I can go is 1.490mhz and still remain completely stable. Ive oc'd before to 1610 but the computer I have an AXIA chip as well and I use a Swiftech 462a to cool my cpu. Thats cool you can squeak that much speed out of your cpu. I wish I could get the same..
I use a thermosonic thermoengine with a delta fan blowing about 40cfm's and some arctic silver 3 (this little baby really kicks some serious ***). I can boot completely stable @1500 (10x150) with core voltage 1.85v after a 2 months of burn-in, but my crucial memory isn't really capable of reaching 150mhz with CL2 :(. Anyway, this cpu is definitely my best buy this far. Thermoengine if combined with a 7000rpm fan can get the snake out of the hole (this is a greek expression) :) The only negative is the noise, as with your swiftech i suppose.

As others have noted, RAM and PSU juice low.

I know that you say that 8 GB seems to be enough, but I can't see how it can be these days....

Certainly the extra RAM will be something that you will notice at the 128 MB level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back