What Video Card do I need??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My video card blew out, and its on the computer I am using now. The color is fine sometimes, except for font (fuzzy). It will all of a sudden clear up, then turn black and white. I am new to hardware and brands, and have just started porgramming. I know how to use the machine, but I dont know what specs to give you guys so you can help me. I have a pentium(R) 4 cpu 1.50GHz, 1.50 GHz,128 MB of RAM (whatever the crap that means, lol). Do I need to give you guys anything else besides this? I have a dell, my OS is windows xp pro with service pack 2 (OEM version), and I need to be able to run unigraphics, katea (sp?), cad cam, and someother engineering programs. I have looked at other threads, but I dont understand CRAP! What card is the best for my situation? What card will also allow me to play games like half life 2 and doom 3? Now, I dont NEED to be able to play those games, but what one will allow me to without costing me an arm and a leg? I already know I need to upgraded my ram (or do I?) to 512 or so (like other comp), but I need to open up my case and take a look at my mem slots on the mb before that. If you need any other info please tell me, becuase I am a newbie. Sorry if I drag on and on.....please help!

EDIT: Also, where to buy them within the united states for cheap, thanks again!

Syntax_Error said:
My video card blew out, and its on the computer I am using now. The color is fine sometimes, except for font (fuzzy). It will all of a sudden clear up, then turn black and white. I am new to hardware and brands, and have just started porgramming. I know how to use the machine, but I dont know what specs to give you guys so you can help me. I have a pentium(R) 4 cpu 1.50GHz, 1.50 GHz,128 MB of RAM (whatever the crap that means, lol). Do I need to give you guys anything else besides this? I have a dell, my OS is windows xp pro with service pack 2 (OEM version), and I need to be able to run unigraphics, katea (sp?), cad cam, and someother engineering programs. I have looked at other threads, but I dont understand CRAP! What card is the best for my situation? What card will also allow me to play games like half life 2 and doom 3? Now, I dont NEED to be able to play those games, but what one will allow me to without costing me an arm and a leg? I already know I need to upgraded my ram (or do I?) to 512 or so (like other comp), but I need to open up my case and take a look at my mem slots on the mb before that. If you need any other info please tell me, becuase I am a newbie. Sorry if I drag on and on.....please help!

EDIT: Also, where to buy them within the united states for cheap, thanks again![/QUOTE
Any card from ati 128mb like ATI radion will do good for you playing these games and has great color,these cards run 4x/8x agp,so depending on your board if it is only 2x it will run at that speed if you use a card that has 4x or 8x,an other excellent card if you dont want to spend $100.00 cad,US price?, for the ati is a nvidia mx 4000 or a 440 card,excellent color for photo work which might be your choice also i have never seen any problems playing newer games,It runs 2x /4x at 64mb.you need to look for a agp card,Hope this helps,

cad cam on that comp will be very tedious. i have xp2500 overclocked wit 512 pc2700 and 128mb vram and it still runs really slugish. i know i need an upgrade myself, but i think you should consider saving some money and getting a whole new system...you can get an awesome machine for about $1000 US. i got my parts over 1 year ago and they were one of the best ones on the market and i only spend about $800 cad. think about a whole new comp...for $1000 US, you can get:
athlon 64 2800/3000
corsair 1gb pc3200
WD 160gb hdd
6600gt 256mb....and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back