What would be the best build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi guys,

I've been trying to choose some new PC parts, but IDK if I should spend a little more, and get an AM2 mobo & CPU, or just get another 939 and keep my existing RAM. These would be the specs:

[CENTER]AM2 Build[/CENTER]

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 512 kb L2
1 GB (2 X 512MB) Geil Ultra Series RAM DDR2 667 (3-4-4-8)
ABIT KN9 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra mobo

[CENTER]939 Build[/CENTER]
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego overclocked to 4000+ speeds (1 MB L2 cache)
1 GB Corsair Value Select (probably 2 gigs with this setup)
ABIT KN8 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra mobo

What would be the best setup? Is there a huge performance difference between AM2 & 939?

Right now there isn't much performance difference between AM2 and 939. The main diff is AM2 obviously supports DDR2. With AM2 you would have a better future upgrade path to whatever AMD comes out with. It is more expensive right now, but you may wind up saving in the future.

Thanks for the response nickslick74 :)

I think I'll stay with 939. It would be cheaper :)
Unless 939 gets more expensive (like what happened with socket A), I'd consider getting AM2.
I like that 1MB L2 cache on the San Diego, and I could afford 2 GB dual channel RAM, so probably my future 939 build would have more power than the AM2 one.

Thanks for the response man :)

Regards :wave:

wolfram said:
Thanks for the response nickslick74 :)

I think I'll stay with 939. It would be cheaper :)
Unless 939 gets more expensive (like what happened with socket A), I'd consider getting AM2.
I like that 1MB L2 cache on the San Diego, and I could afford 2 GB dual channel RAM, so probably my future 939 build would have more power than the AM2 one.

Thanks for the response man :)

Regards :wave:

The only problem is the fact that when the computer components (i.e Ram, Processor) outdate themselves, there will basically be no upgrade option, costing you more in the future for a newer motherboard, processor, and memory. Good luck though.

Thanks cfitzarl :)

Someday, I'll plan to get a Core 2 Duo processor, so anyway, I'd have to change processor, and mobo too.
But I need to work first, I'm still stuck with the stupid school :unch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back