What's a decent framerate??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleb05

hey everyone
i got this progam called FRAPS i downloaded it from this site actually its mainly used 2 test the amount of frames per second your system gets during games it has a constant frame counter but all my games work great but im just wondering how my system matches up in the frame rate category and bear in mind i dont have a 8800 so tell me what you think thanks

oh yaa i forgot 2 add FRAPS is a great program for taking screenshots it saves them automatically to a designated directory i couldn't take screenshots of bioshock using printscreen it would come up black but anyway let me know what you think about my question
thanks again

we're all fairly familiar with FRAPS being largely gamers and all.

we use FRAPS for recording videos of gameplay.

but...generally with framerates, anything abover 35 or 40 frames per second is good. these days, frame rates can shoot up well above the 150 mark if it's a top of the line computer. but the average gamer doesn't have the money for that, and therefore a frame rate of about that is good enough.

the human eye sees things at about 27 frames per second or so. so anything that matches that or goes above and beyond will appear fantastically smooth. that's partially how you can gauge how good the framerates are. the other way is to go by today's standard.

but anyway, i think i've said enough.

i took a film class, and i know something about nerves. a nerve impulse lasts 1/25 of a second or so. and in my film class, i heard straight from a professor's mouth that the human eye sees at about that frame rate. and films are often recorded at similar frame rates.

60-65 isn't the base rate. that's what is projected to be the maximum rate where a difference is discernible.

beef_jerky4104 said:
Actually it's 60-65.
To be completely accurate, the human eye & brain doesn't work on any notion such as "frame rate" or such. The eye and brain have a number of motion detectors and detail detectors that are used to recognize motion without some sort of framerate requirement.

Movie theatres can be as low as 20-30 frames per second with most "eyes and brains" unable to designate a difference here above or beyond that.

This discussion has very little to do with games and game framerate though. What makes a game playable has very little to do with the eyes, but instead the feedback of controls and latency of motions/controls given. It's just currently in many games directly tied to the framerate as the 3D engine refreshes in-sync with the engine also performing the physics, graphics and player movements/actions.

In a nutshell- the time from where you "move" with your controls, the game calculates the new "move", and the time before your brain/eyes then see the result of that move and it's dependency for adjustment... all reliant on what's going on (such as jumping, walking, driving, shooting, etc.etc.).

This is why some games are great at 10-15 fps, but action games that require more precise timings and feedback to controls demand higher framerates to improve control. For example, you can land a plane at 15-20 fps, but try driving a car around a tight hairpin turn at 12-15 fps... if the engine feedback/control latency isnt tight, the control -> action -> refresh for your eyes doesn't allow for proper overcompensation or adjustment for the given turn... so you wind up sliding out or oversteering.

FPS games- even moreso. A jump/spin move while shooting some guy, then diving for a weapon spawn- if you don't get near instantaneous results and feedback on-screen, pulling off this move can be difficult given game physics, how fast you fall/jump/run and how many frames these are all scaled for your brain to take-in & adjust to.

So for the original poster, and to be more accurate- framerates will definitely be game specific... and not just by genre such as sims, racing games, shooter games, etc.etc.- but how the "engine" is written, performs and how control feedback/player control results are scaled to the refresh of the on-screen graphics.

Indeed.. It's not like the optical nerve turns on, grabs the signal and then goes to sleep for 1/25 of a second. Your eyes have some lag, but the stream of data is continuous and the detection of motion and quick changes depend on many factors.

so 30 frames per second is average frame rate for games thats great im getting well over that i just wanted to know that i didnt need the extra info its kinda useless to me lol

thanks guys

100fps may not appear any different to the eye than 30-60, but you can deffinately feel the differnce IMO... and the feel is far more important to me than anything I can detect visually!!!

Human vision is not terribly sensitive to temporal resolution.

Most original Disney movies were sketched at ~12fps and the appear smooth. Don't forget you have things like interlacing and shutter-speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back