whats a good low budget agp x8 card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of those two, the X800GTO wins easily. Just make sure you cool it down properly, because X800 cards run very hot.

A 6600GT is a very good card. If you like nVidia, get it. Otherwise, the X800GTO should be a little faster than a 6600GT because it has 12 pipelines and 256 bit memory bus.

Hey, just ordered one of those Saphire X800 GTO's since I couldn't pass up the weekend sale $124 price tag.. ordered it last weekend, got it Wednesday.

Upon installing it, it's NOT a GTO.. but instead an X800XL! It has all 16 pipes open @ 400mhz. OUT OF THE BOX. It's still identified in the Device Manager as an X800 GTO, but it truly has all 16 pipes vs. 12 pipes of the GTO.

Mine is a blue PCB, not a red like the picture. I was incredibly delighted to find I paid for 12 and got 16. Fillrate benchmarks in 3dmark03 as well as ATI Tray Tools verify all 16 pipes. Quite a nice surprise. :)

I've also got a genuine ATI X800XL and X800XT on my LAN PC's at home. The talk about the temperatures on NewEgg forgets these ATI R4xxx chips are supposed to run that high. My X800XT runs at peaks of 86C and thermal rated up to 99C. Yes, hotter than most videocards but well within it's operating limits and also has 0 artifacts or problems in the mid to high 80's.

Make sure you do have ample CASE cooling and a good power supply though... will all 16 pipes open on these, they do draw a bit more power than I was expecting. My SO has been playing a "The Movies" marathon @ 1280x1024 ever since I slapped it in... so it's got over 20 hours of 78-82C usage... no problems and very, very fast.

guess im gonna stick with the gto... hehe i made a good choice i guess. Thanks for the replies all, geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back