Whats Inside my SEGATE PushButton Backup Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBot

Hi All
i have a segate push-button backup drive, model number ST330060U12RK

does any one know what's inside it ( ie the drive connections)

story is ... its on the blink, i cant afford to get the data recovered professionally unless i really have to,but i need what's on there and wanna have a go myself,

if i send the drive back as faulty under thw warrenty i will lose all my data ( 200 gigs!) and I'm pretty sure its just the usb interface thats bust, ( ie the drive part is ok)

so

any one know if the actual drive in the housing of this external unt has normal connectors which i can connect to my sata interface on my motherboard?

also will the power connections be the same as in my pc ( standard drive power conecters i mean ??

or is the drive specifically designed to only work in the segate housing?

I want know if it will be a waste breaking the case open if i cant get my drive to interface anyway.

I would really appreciate any advice / knowledge on this

thanks in advance

Joe

i do believe it has normal connectors that will hook up to your motherboard...whether it is ide or sata i don't know...i couldn't find any info on that model number

You might want to be careful about whether you should open that thing up. It probably voids your warranty, which means no replacement when you get your data off.

decided i wasnt botherd about my warrenty as it did not include data recovery, which would of cost a fortune

any way got the darn thing open using the folloring tools

1flat head screw driver
1 Philips head screwdriver
1 power drill
1 hand saw

lots of elbow greece and a bit of cursing

they make them things damm hard to get into!

and its a

standard 300 gb 7200 segate ide hdd

:D

now to see if it works

shall i post pics of my dismantled mess?

Joe

lol, sure post pics. I had to take a hacksaw to my case once because I didn't want to pull the heatsink off my processor to fit a new power supply in (yes I took measures to prevent metal flakes from getting places they shouldn't be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back