Whats the advantage of SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattkorz

What exactly does it mean when a motherboard says its SLI, and what are the advantages of using an SLI board, as compared to a non-SLI one?

SLI means you can connect TWO sli approved nvidia graphics cards together for a performance boost. It is really only necessary if you are a hard core gamer. For the average user, one graphics card is more than enough power.

Some would argue that an SLI motherboard also opens up your future upgrade options, as instead of buying a new graphics card when the current one feels dated, you can purchase a second identical card for an upgrade. I however don't agree with this line of thinking. Unless you are a hardcore gamer who is addicted to super-high framerates, a non SLI board will due just fine.

DonNagual said:
SLI means you can connect TWO sli approved nvidia graphics cards together for a performance boost. It is really only necessary if you are a hard core gamer. For the average user, one graphics card is more than enough power.

Some would argue that an SLI motherboard also opens up your future upgrade options, as instead of buying a new graphics card when the current one feels dated, you can purchase a second identical card for an upgrade. I however don't agree with this line of thinking. Unless you are a hardcore gamer who is addicted to super-high framerates, a non SLI board will due just fine.

I would go alone with that, Sli is ok enough but Quad Sli is just overkill i dont see anything that would require that level of processing power etc unless your very much in to rendering then that would help but not for gaming, gaming isn't at that stage yet.

If you have a 30" & use lot of Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic Filtering, quad SLI is the only way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back