What's the deal with Toughbooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

One of my family members received a toughbook for his work, and found out that the thing retailed at $4800. It has:

Intel Pentium M @ 1.3ghz
512 MB RAM (model # unknown)
Integrated Intel Graphics
Forget hard drive size
Wireless LAN

Why are these computers soo expensive? I know they have a really nice case that can handle almost anything (except a hammer of course), but what's the deal with them?

I think it's an older version of this (looks identical)
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...1&modelNo=Toughbook-29&surfModel=Toughbook-29

well it is a laptop built with a very, very rugged chasis...

laptops themselves are always pretty expensive, especialy with extra features.. (built in everything, super-slimlined/small parts etc)

That is true, but its specs aren't amazing (it also weighs as heavy as a brick). The chassis could not have cost alot to build, I mean...

The chassis DOES cost alot to build. It's made of Titanium and steel I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

That is true, but its specs aren't amazing (it also weighs as heavy as a brick). The chassis could not have cost thousands, I mean the laptop specs in a normal laptop would cost it maybe around $900-$1000, the case couldn't have been more than $1500.00

Think about application its typicaly used for.. i could imagine this being used in a military situation or some places where a normal laptop won't survive physicaly.. in which those places top end graphics or processing power or big HDD etc is irrelevant.

Everything these days are designed for a certian situation/scenario especialy if there is a market for it.. and people like the government usualy dont skimp on the $$...

Yes, it is used in the open world, as my father works for the phone company, and installs fiber opticware in homes (for internet and tv).

lol, I know I am going to get it soon (when it becomes active in my town). Nothing like a 15mbps speed to download off of!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back