What's the difference between a Windows or a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows is an operating system for PC type personal computers and servers - a kind of a superprogram that is responsible for running all the other prorams.

"Mac" refers to personal computers and laptops made by the Apple corporation.

Mac OS - made by Apple Computers: www.apple.com

Windows OS - made by Microsoft: www.microsoft.com

Both are operating systems that make your computer run, although MacOS can only be run on specific builds or apple-approved hardware and windows will run on almost anything it has drivers for.

There are pros and cons of both systems (some being debatable), possibly too long to list them here one by one, so easy way is to google Mac OS and Windows OS and have a read about them for yourself. I suggest start by going to the links provided above to the actual companies..

If there's any specific questions you'd like to ask, go ahead and we'll try to answer..

From the question, you're likely a PC person so you know what to love/hate there :)

I got a Mac for the wife back in the early '80s and we've updated three times since then.
The latest Mac OS X retains the Mac, look-n-feel while having
moved the OS itself to a Unix FreeBSD foundation. Read carefully there and you
see that you can now get to a terminal window and run Unix commands and X11
GUI as well.

Sadly, Mac is a niche market well supported in desktop publishing and printing.
It is capable of much more and is quite simple to configure, maintain and to learn.

Unless you have a specific reason to migrate from a PC to the Mac,
I always recommend you stay with what you know best -- especially if there
are critical applications you need and a timeline to complete a task.

Frankly, I love working on it, and I am knowledgeable on PCs, Unix's, and Mainframes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back