What's up with the Windows Experience index!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce2

After I installed Vista 64 bit with 2x1gb of rams, the Window Experience Index was 5.7 which is determined the lowest factor, in this case, the computing speed. The question is why I later installed another 2x1gb rams which makes the total of 4gb would dropped the index to 5.6? More ram = slow????

Many systems relax memory timings in order to run with 4-sticks. This is very common of Intel chipset motherboards.

Moreover, memory will run at the speed of your slowest memory. You might want to download and run CPU-Z and have a look at the memory timings for all four slots on it's memory tab. This will tell you what SPD rating your sticks are and if you're now running at higher latency/slower speeds since adding the two new sticks.

Sharkfood, your explanation is very logical. Thank. But the index probably means nothing, because I reconfig it again and it went back up to 5.7.

Background tasks or systray things can effect the benchmark results, so this can be a factor.

Nonetheless, I do recommend grabbing CPU-Z to ensure your memory timings are set correctly. CPU-Z will let you see the By Spd timings of each stick, plus what the entire set of memory is being timed at. Not all BIOS's configure memory correctly.. plus may run with looser timings for 4-stick configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back