Wheel mouse/sound problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

alin

I get clicking and static interference when scrolling using my logitech wheel mouse and playing music at the same time. I have a SB Live 1024 soundcard with the latest drivers. OS = XP. Can anybody help?
thanks
alin

Do you have Logitech Mouseware installed? If you do, try uninstalling it. I remember having similar problems aeons ago with my Mouseman+ and SB Live!.

thanks for your reply.
yeah, I've already tried that but it doesn't make any difference whether mouseware is installed or not. I still get horrible interference on sound as pages load and as I scroll up and down the page. it makes reading forums like this a bit of a nightmare. thanks anyway
ps i notice that people like to list their hardware at the end of each post. i don't know whether this is showing off or is to help others with their diagnosis but anyway this is what SiSoft Sandra says I have installed:

AMD Athlon(tm) processor
Speed : 1.33MHz
System BIOS : Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG
Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6378(VT8361)
System Chipset : VIA Technologies Inc VT8361 Apollo KLE133 Installed Memory : 248MB SDRAM

Monitor: hp pavilion f50s
Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia

Disk Drive : QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS40.0
CD-ROM/DVD : MITSUMI CR-4804TE
CD-ROM/DVD : PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-115

Hard Disk (C:) : 37.3GB (NTFS)

Mouse : Logitech USB First/Pilot Mouse+

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Creative SB Live! Value

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Ver 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1

Adapter : 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter

sorry, I'm a newbie. I have un-installed the windows drivers which I downloaded as part of SBLIVEDRVPacK which the Creative site recommends for XP. Is this what you mean?
If so then i still have the problem.
thanks

Could you check with, say, SiSoft Sandra, if there are any IRQs (Interrupt ReQuests) shared? Those usually cause weird problems and/or decreased performance (your mileage may vary :)).

all these use IRQ3!! could this be the problem?

IRQ 3 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 3 Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia
IRQ 3 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 3 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
IRQ 3 Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM)
IRQ 3 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter
IRQ 3 MSP3880-W 56K PCI Modem

all these use IRQ3!! could this be the problem?

IRQ 3 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 3 Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia
IRQ 3 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
IRQ 3 Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM)
IRQ 3 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter
IRQ 3 MSP3880-W 56K PCI Modem

thanks
do i have to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS too? Or is it enought to do it through device manager?.

The USB controller and the sound card share the IRQ, you have an US mouse... Trouble for sure.

In BIOS, you can try toggling "PnP OS Installed" option, if that doesn't help then giving some other IRQ to the sound card by force.

Since so many devices are sharing IRQ's, you may consder disabling some things in BIOS you don't use like LPT and COM ports, also try not giving an IRQ to VGA.

Same problem here

Hey guys,

I have the exact same problem with my motherboard (MS-6378). I have the on-board sound card disabled and am using a SB PCI128.

From what I understand this is not a sound or mouse problem, but a video issue. When I turn down the resolution and colour mode settings in windows display properties the clicking and skipping is not as severe.

Obviously this is not an acceptable fix.

I have updated the BIOS, installed the most up to date video drivers I can find, turned off smooth scrolling in windows explorer (which I understand is a huge resource hog).

If anyone can shed some light on what the problem is here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-R

i have the same problem with the smae motherboard and video driver, it has gooten a lot worse since i changed my soundcard to a firewire external unit for some reason, i am going to try and switch out the video card tonight

this has happened me thru 3 differenent soundcards, ram upgrades and downgrades, fully tweeked xp environment and a couple of different rebuilds, it has to be the video card

if anyone has any other ideas

aux channel volume

hello, juste in case someone still needs a solution, I had the same problem and goit it to disappear by turning down the "AUX" channel volume. If the Aux pannel isn't in the volume panel, go in the "file" menu and select "advanced control", it should be there....

Cant spot the "AUX"

I have been facing the same "scratchy sound" problem that's been discussed here...what i dont folow is how to spot the "AUX" Channel ...where to find the "file"..plz help

I have te very same problem with my sound, but i have been reading in a specialized PC magazine, that it has nothing to do with the mouse, it seems to be an issue with de drivers of the Micro Star International (MSI) motherboard on that particular model : ms-6378 (vt8361)

so i am going to download some new drivers (i guess, video drivers) and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back