When I play music my PC starts to slow down and mouse stutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Basically I have reformated recently and when I reinstalled my audio driver everytime I play a song in media player or any other mp3 player my pc begins to slow down a LOT an the mouse stutters. I also have the same problem when I install the driver for my network card and then plug in the network cable. Both my audio and network card are on board my motherboard. When they are in use the pc slows down a lot an as I said before the mouse stuuters. Please someone help me :confused:

What operating system are you using?

It may be a problem with IRQ's, or it may be something different, but knowing your operating system will help.

Also, what processor and how much memory do you have? And, is the mouse USB?

Hopefully I (and other people on the forum) can help :)

-Justin

What operating system are you using?

It may be a problem with IRQ's, or it may be something different, but knowing your operating system will help.

Also, what processor and how much memory do you have? And, is the mouse USB?

Hopefully I (and other people on the forum) can help

-Justin

Im using XP and my processor is a Intel(R) Celaron(R) CPU 2.60GHz 2.59GHz and I have 512 RAM. I have reformated many times and it has never happend. I have used my 40gb hard drive and my 120gb hard drive but it happens with both of them so I dont think its a problem with the hard drives, at the moment im using my 120gb. I am not using a USB mouse.

Alright it may be the IRQ's then.

Right-click My Computer and go to the Hardware tab, then click Device Manager. In Device Manager, click on View, then choose Resources by type. Expand the Interrupt Request (IRQ) list by clicking the + box next to it.

Post the IRQ's (all of them, just so I can compare and check stuff out) and that can tell me whether or not it's an IRQ problem.

-Justin

Hi, these are the IRQ thingies you asked for
(ISA) 0 System timer
(ISA) 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
(ISA) 4 Communications Port (COM1)
(ISA) 6 Standard floppy disk controller
(ISA) 8 System CMOS/real tine clock
(ISA) 9 Microsoft ACPI-Complaint System
(ISA) 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
(ISA) 13 Numeric data processor
(ISA) 14 Primary IDE Channel
(ISA) 15 Secondary IDE Channel
(PCI) 3 Ethernet Controller
(PCI) 3 Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM SMBus Controller-24C3
(PCI) 16 Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
(PCI) 16 Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
(PCI) 17 Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
(PCI) 17 SoundMAX Intergrated Digital Audio
(PCI) 18 Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
(PCI) 19 Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
(PCI) 23 Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller 24CD

Oh geez...I just realized that you can't change IRQ's in Windows XP! It doesn't seem to be an IRQ problem after all, though.

I would try updating Windows Media Player. The most current version is 10: you can download it here and see if that helps.

If you know you already have version 10, then try downloading a different media player, such as RealPlayer 10.

If neither of those help, post back and I might have thought of another idea.

-Justin

I have tried all that, tried real player and im currently using windows media player 10. I dont think its a problem with the media player I just think when the sound card is being used it starts to mess up my comp just like when the on boad network card comes into use it does the same thing. I guess theres nothing anyone can do to help?? :dead:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go to your mobo manufacturers website and download the latest chipset drivers etc.

You could also try uninstalling the onboard soundcard, and nic, from the device manager then reboot your machine and reinstall the latest drivers.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I kno how to install drivers off a cd but when you download them off the net how do u install them?

Thanks

Exactly in the same way unless they`re in a zip or rar format, in which case you`ll need to unzip the files first, using either winra or winzip.

Regards Howard :) :)

Edit: If the drivers that you download from the web don't work, read over this post and see if it helps.

Alex Pellas said:
I dont think its a problem with the media player i just think when the sound card is being used it starts to mess up my comp just like when the on boad network card comes into use it does the same thing.

I'm sorry that I didn't notice the part about the network card in your first post.

Notice how, in the IRQ listing that you gave me, both the Realtek Ethernet Card and the SoundMAX Audio have "17" next to them. This means that they are sharing the same IRQ, which could be causing the problem.

Before I suggest something else, are you sure you have a sound card installed? Or are you using the on-board audio? If you are using the on-board audio, try moving the network card to a different PCI slot on your motherboard. If you are using a sound card, then try moving the sound card to a different spot. This will hopefully help. If it doesn't, you can always post back :).

-JustinPS

I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the newest drivers and it didn't make a difference. How do I check if I have a sound card or an on board audio? because my original network card was on board but it wouldn't give me a chance to use the net because everytime I plugged in the network cable it would do what the media player did and slow down my pc an make the mouse stutter so I installed the raeltek network card into the pci slot and that worked. I will move the network card to a different pci slot now.

I tried the other 2 pci slots and it made no difference :mad: and i think i have on board audio but im not too sure.

Thanks

You can checkout your system specs by going HERE and reading my post.

Download the free Everest programme it will give you lots of info about your system.

Regards Howard :D

Motherboard ID - <DMI>
Motherboard Name - Dell Dimension 2400

CPU Make - GenuineIntel
CPU Name - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz

Hard Drive Model - Maxtor
Hard Drive Capacity - 120GB

RAM - 512mb

Graphics Card - Don't think I have one

Sound Card - Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Operating System - Windows Xp Home Edition

Btw, thanks for that programme Howard :giddy:

alex you may just want to go and upgrad to windows xp pro your machine is fast enough that it should run just fine. you can change the irqs in xp however anytime that you mess with irqs it is going to be in the bios setting and then it is a matter if your motherboard will let you change them but from what i saw they look fine. you can also check to see if your sound card is built in or not by where it is located in the back. if it comes out where the mouse and keyboard come out is it integrated and if it comes out of the back in a single opening then it is a pci bus. i doubt this but it is possible is that it is an isa bus and because i have never used an isa bus sound card i wouldnt know how it would work. but its probably a pci bus or integrated. sorry about that you do have an integrated sound card and its an ac97 controller wich i have had nothing but troubles with my suggestion is get a sound blaster and install that. it is very easy and if you need help email me at criesofheaven@hotmail.com and i'll tell you how to install it. and you do have a graphics card or you wouldnt be able to hook up your monitor

To reset your cmos.

Make sure that the power cord is unplugged first.

Take out the cmos battery for a few minutes, then reinsert it. Alternatively there should be a jumper on your mobo that you can reset. Your mobo manual should tell you how to do this.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back